Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Strategy in the Napoleonic War 1803-15 by Christopher D. Hall published by Manchester University Press.

I bought this book years ago and it got buried in a box since I do not have room in my book case. It's really an interesting subject. Hall is a good writer and he packs lots of info in about 200 pages of text. I don't know enough about the topic to do a critical review but it appears to be extremely well documented. I'm less than half way through it on chapter 4 Strategic Options and Pressures.
    To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman. - George Santayana

Comment

• The Second World War, Antony Beevor
      Honor Bound, W.E.B Griffin

Comment

• Germany and Republican China by William Kirby.
        There's not a lot available in English about the involvement of the Germans, particularly the military, in Republican China. The area saw two future antagonists, Germany and the Soviet Union, provide assistance and equipment to the same side. A hard book to find and I was lucky enough to stumble across a decent and cheap copy recently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
          I take that this would be the same Steven Pressfield of 'Gates of Fire'?
          Well Jereon, if you look at words just under the author's name.........
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
            Well Jereon, if you look at words just under the author's name.........

To my defence, on my screen those words were hardly legible.
            I posted my question as the two subjects (warfare in Greek antiquity and Six Days War) do not fall into the same specialization.

Only when I 'looked inside' I realised the answer to my question, but then the post had been sent already.

This will teach me once again to think before acting
            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• The Spy Who Came in from the Cold - finally getting round to it!

Comment

• Jules Vernes' Paris in the 20th Century
                ------
                'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

• A Spy Among Friends
                  Ben Macintyres brilliant book on Kim Philby.
                  Wine for my men. We ride at dawn. (Seen on an L.F.C. banner.)

Comment

• Just received two new titles from Hong Kong University Press:

Escape from Hong Kong: Admiral Chan Chak's Christmas Day Dash, 1941

East River Column: Hong Kong Guerrillas in the Second World War and After

Comment

• After reading the review in The Guardian circa last Dec. 2013, I finally got around to it. Refreshing.

The author was featured on a History Extra podcast, I think it was Dec 5, 2013.
                      http://www.historyextra.com
                      I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• The Bloody Crucible of Courage: Fighting Methods and Combat Experience of the Civil War by Brent Nosworthy.

Excellent so far.
                        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Naval Anti-Aircraft Guns and Gunnery

Norman Friedman is one of the best naval historians writing today and this book looks at the development and use of anti-aircraft theory and weaponry in the major (and many of the minor) navies of World War Two.

Comment

• Birdmen by Lawrence Goldstone......how Orville and Wilber tried to getk the monoply on the development of aviation....

Comment

• I just started the "Flashman" series. If all "heroes" could be so funny........
                                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X