This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristol Blenheim, the Yugoslav Story, an operational record 1937-1958

Just received this book in the mail. First time publishers making an impressive debut. Great profiles, rare pictures and very well researched and written. Ikarus Blenheims served with Finland and Romania as well.

Comment

• Bombing War

Bombing War I was just wondering if any other members have read this book……….

The Bombing War
      Europe 1938 – 1945
      Richard Overy
      1st published 2013 ISBN 978 013 99361 9

It has lots of new information ……..On the Air War covering all sides RAF Luftwaffe USAAF Soviet Air Force…….. Covering Strategy, politics, technology, combat, social policy and Psychological effects to understanding the experience of bombing and being bombed

It stripes away many post-war myths……… how quickly bombing came to be taken for granted on all sides

Once the bombing had started the momentum for escalation became irreversible and contributed little directly to the outcome

“Attack with aggression, but always have a plan of retreat”

Comment

• I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• I'm reading a little light military humour

Comment

• Last week I read this very interesting book about the Indian army on the western front, I highly recommend it

All very cheap on amazon kindle

Comment

• Originally posted by wellsfargo View Post
              Bombing War I was just wondering if any other members have read this book……….

The Bombing War
              Europe 1938 – 1945
              Richard Overy
              1st published 2013 ISBN 978 013 99361 9

It has lots of new information ……..On the Air War covering all sides RAF Luftwaffe USAAF Soviet Air Force…….. Covering Strategy, politics, technology, combat, social policy and Psychological effects to understanding the experience of bombing and being bombed

It stripes away many post-war myths……… how quickly bombing came to be taken for granted on all sides

Once the bombing had started the momentum for escalation became irreversible and contributed little directly to the outcome

“Attack with aggression, but always have a plan of retreat”
              Your author Richard Overy also edited/wrote the big Smithsonian WWI (A Visual History) that is advertised on this site. I got a copy, and I will say it's big and it's FULL of pictures, crammed on every page, very nice and exciting.

Comment

• I'm now reading Revolutionary Ideas: An Intellectual History of the French Revolution from The Rights of Man to Robespierre by Jonathan Israel.

I didn't mean to: it was reviewed last weekend in the Wall Street Journal and my husband thought I would like it and I said it was WAAAY too long (877 pages) but I would put on a sample and while we were talking about it I got confused and bought it!

But it's really excellent for ideas -- it's clearing up a lot for me. The French Revolution is very confusing for everyone, especially historians. He is basically saying that the Terror (1793-1794) was not part of the Revolution, nor of course was Napoleon. That the Revolution itself stopped in 1793 and was taken over by would-be dictators and crazies. I'm not sure I agree with that, but the writing is quite clear and dramatic and I'm enjoying it.

Comment

• Night of the Hunter by R.A. Salvatore.
                  "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
                    I take that this would be the same Steven Pressfield of 'Gates of Fire'?
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• About 60 pages in - very good but makes grim reading in parts.
                      HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• Orlando Figes The Crimean War.

I find it a very good book. Well written and researched, and quite objective. The only down side is that the book skimps a bit on the battle descriptions, but that is inevitable in any single volume history.

Michael

Comment

• http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Decks-Da.../dp/0446320102
                          " Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

• The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors

Finally found a cheap copy used.

Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• Mission to China: Memoirs of a Soviet Military Adviser to Chiang Kaishek

Comment

• Some magazine on the 100th anniversary of the beginning of WWI on my flight back from Omaha.
                                TTFN

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X