Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post

Mud: A Military History

Found second hand and picked up just because it's an unusual subject.
      Whoa! That is different. My first thought was "Passchendaele." That must be one of the most dramatic encounters between mud and war ever. But mud was a constant issue throughout WWI. I must get it.

Comment

• The Pope and Mussolini.by David Kertzer........Interesting how Pope
        Pius X1 tried to turn Italy into a complete Catholic country with Mussolini['s help and Mussolini's Fascists got help from the American/Fascist League ....

Comment

• Coyote by Allen Steele.

http://www.amazon.com/Coyote-Allen-S...eywords=coyote
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• A little light relief

'Richter 10'

"The protagonist is Lewis Crane, who develops a hatred of earthquakes due to a major earthquake hitting his house when he is seven years old, killing his parents. The book's title is a reference to the Richter scale, on which 10 was considered (when the scale was devised) to be the most power an earthquake was likely to ever have.

The plot deals with predicting earthquakes months or years in advance, and eventually banishing them forever from earth by stopping all tectonic activity."
            Signing out.

Comment

• Saving MacArthur
              Glen Williford: Racing the Sunrise.....

This book describes in detail the late-hour reinforcements of the Philippines in the Fall of 1941. A very interesting book crushing the myth that MacArthur was deliberately forsaken by the Home Front before the Japanese onslaught. It also shows MacArthur's quest to defend the whole Philippines in a different light.

Unfortunately, the Pearl Harbor shock minimized much of the impetus of this supply effort in that the leaders at home selected to safeguard their rear lines rather than pushing on to the Philippines what was already in the pipeline.

Fred
              Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
              River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

Comment

• The Making of a Nazi Hero: The Murder and Myth of Horst Wessel

Comment

• "Packing for Mars" by Mary Roach
                  Needed something light since winter is dragging on.
                  Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• It filled in a lot of blanks in detail for me concerning the back story of the Boer Wars. I found the sketches of Rhodes and Om Paul fascinating too.
                    I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Things That Matter by Charles Krauthammer

Commentary on everything from chess to outer-space. Has some very humorous content along with thought provoking commentary.
                      Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

• Continuing a theme:

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Across the Fence: The Secret War in Vietnam by John Stryker Meyer, a damn good primary source history of SOG.
                          "Conquer Yourself." -Vladimir Salnikov, 1500m Olympic Swimming Champion, 1988 Seoul Olympic Games.

Comment

• Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                            "Packing for Mars" by Mary Roach
                            Needed something light since winter is dragging on.
                            If you like that you might try this :

The Martian

It's a fictional account of someone stranded on Mars and how he survives. However, it's done within scientific methods so it's not all total bs. I recommend it.

Comment

• Bruce Lincoln's "The Conquest of a Continent: Siberia and the Russians"

Comment

• Jehovah, God of battles up to date, the German God by Harvey Maitland Watts.

This is a great book written in 1918 before the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses was recorded that includes Kaiser William II of the Prussian Empire, and you can read it free online, I bought it and didn't realize that its only about 12 pages long.

The question is how did Harvey know all that information without Google, or Internet? Smart.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X