Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm about 30 pages in so far. The author is a bit long winded but he might just be getting into his stride.......(fingers crossed!)
    HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth by John Garth. Doing the audible unabridged version.

First of all, I only ever started one or two and never ever finished a Tolkien book. That was decades ago under peer pressure but I always thought...pish-posh, it's freaking fantasy....not my thing. However, I am finding this fascinating and perhaps I may finally try to start and finish one.
        Last edited by ktnbs; 07 Jan 14, 21:56. Reason: spelling, phrasing
        I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• One Hundred Days: Napoleon's Road to Waterloo, by Alan Schom.

I like it. Well-referenced and not worshipful of Napoleon, as he certainly did not deserve. The Hundred Days, March 1 thru June 18, 1815, when Napoleon came back from Elba and tried to take up where he left off as Emperor of France, are fascinating. Neither France nor the allies who had been partying in Vienna at a Congress assembled to recover after the Monster of Europe was vanquished were about to let him get away with it. He never really had a chance, and within four months he was on his way to St. Helena, and good riddance.

Comment

• Burning the Reichstag: An Investigation into the Third Reich's Enduring Mystery

Just received this. A re-examination of the events and evidence.

Comment

• In the final stages of Tim Blanning's "The Pursuit of Glory" it covers Europe as it emaerges from the last years of the Late Medieval/Renaissance/30 Years war (1648) through the end of Napoleon's empire (1815).

A tour d'force through Early Modern Europe covering everything from power, politics and elits to infrastructure, travel and trade.
                The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Arming the Chinese: The Western Armaments Trade in Warlord China, 1920-28

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Re-reading Roger Spiller's In the School of War; it's a collection of his articles through the years as a military historian with the Command and General Staff College at Ft. Leavenworth. He is a skeptical historian with masterful prose about man in battle. Anyone read him?
                      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                        Re-reading Roger Spiller's In the School of War; it's a collection of his articles through the years as a military historian with the Command and General Staff College at Ft. Leavenworth. He is a skeptical historian with masterful prose about man in battle. Anyone read him?
                        Excellent suggestion for a re-read. It is one of the most extraordinary books on military history I've read.
                        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                          Re-reading Roger Spiller's In the School of War; it's a collection of his articles through the years as a military historian with the Command and General Staff College at Ft. Leavenworth. He is a skeptical historian with masterful prose about man in battle. Anyone read him?
                          He's a great writer but I was hoping a correction would have been made for this collection in the lead essay.

It's Paul Ison not Isen.

"Death Valley" Photo

Seldom is Paul E. Ison identified as the Marine making the dash, and chances are even if he is identified, his name is misspelled.

"I don't care," he smiles, and with a wave of his hand he says, "I know who the Marine is, and I am very proud to be a part of Marine Corps history. Ironically, even the Navy and Air Force have used the picture in some training manuals.
                          Camp Pendleton still awards the Paul E Ison award.

Comment

• Comment

• 'The March To The Marne: The French Army 1871-1914' by Douglas Porch

Signing out.

Comment

• The 2013 compilation from The Journal of the American Revolution. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Journal-Americ...can+revolution
                                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X