X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• le 'petit' robert

One of my recent purchases.
    Not really reading it in the traditional sense, rather heavy duty usage and enjoying it a lot for its clarity

On top of that: I find that reading a page in the dictionary every now and then sharpens your creativity
    Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 09 Dec 13, 16:45.
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• "The Art of Betrayal: The Secret History of MI6: Life and Death in the British Secret Service" by Gordon Corera

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Betray...1&keywords=mi6

Comment

• Just finished

which was fantastic, although he kinda stops arguing his point later in the book. Its mostly just a good general introduction to Napoleon's campaigns and it is very well written, if not necessarily well argued.

Have now moved on to:

which is a gunpowder fantasy along the Napoleonic lines (field marshal stages a coup against a tyrannical king, definitely a France vs England vibe, etc.). Magic system involves manipulation of gunpowder, which is cool, but so far its more mystery than anything else so I don't know what to make of it yet.

Comment

• I just finnished reading "The Chase" by Clive Cusslar. I could not put it down. I'm going to start reading "The Wrecker" next. I am really enjoying the Issac Bell series.
          Some days your the bug, some days your the windshield.

Comment

• I am currently reading Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends by William Guarnere and Edward Heffron, with Robyn Post.
            "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• The Barry Windsor-Smith Conan Archives:

Comment

• The Anatomy of a Small War: The Soviet-Japanese Struggle for Changkufeng/Khasan, 1938

Provides some interesting insights into the internal politics of the Japanese military prior to World War Two.

Comment

• `
                  The 900 Days: The Siege Of Leningrad by Harrison E. Salisbury

Slightly peculiar thusfar - about a quarter of the way through - as the author's style includes going off on tangents such as historical interludes about Leningrad, Russia, and some of the "dramatis personae" on the Russian side. Not entirely unwelcome, but a bit excessive, IMHO. Also, there are some slightly jarring turns of a phrase, such as referring to Soviet flak batteries as "ack-ack" guns, and repeatedly mentioning the "60 ton KV tank", without even specifying that it's the KV-2 he's evidently referring to. It seems the author's intent was to tell the human side of this story rather than the technical/tactical/strategic side.

Still, given the fact that I purchased a hard cover edition of this work in quite good condition at a used book sale for the equivalent of about 30 cents or less, I'd say I got my money's worth.
                  " Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

• "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• I'm hoping to start "Soldiers, Spies, and the Rat Line: America's Undeclared War Against the Soviets" by James Milano and Patrick Brogan this weekend. This book was used as a source in a book I recently read, so I decided to get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Soldiers-Spies...s=The+Rat+Line

Comment

• The Russian Fascists: Tragedy and Farce in Exile, 1925-1945

Interesting to read about their involvement with the Japanese in Manchukuo

Comment

• The Big Truck That Went By: How the World Came to Save Haiti and Left Behind a Disaster by Jonathan Katz.

Saw him talk about his book on CSPAN Book TV the other day. Hooked me.
                          I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
                            The Big Truck That Went By: How the World Came to Save Haiti and Left Behind a Disaster by Jonathan Katz.

Saw him talk about his book on CSPAN Book TV the other day. Hooked me.
                            Can imagine you got hooked.
                            It has intrigued me but I never looked deeper into it.
                            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Highlander

Highlander: The History of The Legendary Highland Soldier

This arrived by mail today
                              Too bad Christmas holiday is almost over.
                              BoRG

Comment

• The Universe Next Door: A Basic Worldview Catalog
                                http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...erse_Next_Door

Not purely objective IMO. The author is certainly in favor of a theistic worldview. The comparisons however are interesting and to a degree, entertaining. Light bedtime reading.
                                Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X