Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• The Weimar Republic: Through the Lens of the Press

Comment

• The Battles of Armageddon: Megiddo and the Jezreel Valley ...

The Battles of Armageddon: Megiddo and the Jezreel Valley from the Bronze Age to the Nuclear Age
        I first read about the expedition of Thutmose III about twenty years ago for a course I was taking. Archaeologically a very interesting area.

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Battl...FZNlOgodEBgAWA
        Last edited by GCoyote; 18 Nov 13, 10:57. Reason: title truncated
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• 1914: The Year the World Ended by Paul Ham.

As I am going full tilt on the WWI theme lately, I just polished this one off via Audible Books. Quite enjoyable though they are starting to blur....never the less, it's stimulating to read about the familiar events & personalities from slightly different slants and contexts.
          I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• The End - Ian Kershaw
            I am G.I. Jew

Comment

• The Secret War for the Middle East: The Influence of Axis and Allied Intelligence Operations during World War II

Looks at the influence and repercussions of the war on Arab nationalism in particular.

Comment

• History of the Silverton Railroad, The Colorado railroad Journal #44, and A Half Century of Colorado Railroading.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
                  1914: The Year the World Ended by Paul Ham.

As I am going full tilt on the WWI theme lately, I just polished this one off via Audible Books. Quite enjoyable though they are starting to blur....never the less, it's stimulating to read about the familiar events & personalities from slightly different slants and contexts.
                  I just read Max Hastings 1914 book on audible. I rather enjoyed the book. Not sure if you've read it but if you have how do they compare?

Btw I'm currently reading this:

http://www.amazon.com/Guns-August-Ou...guns+of+august
                  If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogsbody67 View Post

About 100 pages into this - quite good so far.

I didn't think much of his previous book 'All Hell Let loose' though.
                    Finished this last night - a thoroughly good read, recommended (even if the runaway train of stupidity is somewhat depressing at times).

Next up, The Somme by Lyn Macdonald.

HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• Russian-language newspaper for German-occupied Russia
                      Za Rodinu [For the Motherland] 1942-1944
                      Issues 1-606

Last edited by Skoblin; 30 Nov 13, 05:39.

Comment

• The Lyn Macdonald book hasn't arrived yet so in the meantime I'm reading this:

It's the companion to the TV series and its quite good - life on the home front and how farms played their part in keeping the home fires burning.
                        HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• The Spanish Second Republic Revisited

Comment

• Citizen Soldiers by Stephen E. Ambrose.
                            "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• China's Wars: Rousing the Dragon 1894-1949

Comment

• Commandant of Auschwitz

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X