This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prelude to Blitzkrieg: The 1916 Austro-German Campaign in Romania

In contrast to the trench-war deadlock on the Western Front, combat in Romania and Transylvania in 1916 foreshadowed the lightning warfare of WWII. When Romania joined the Allies and invaded Transylvania without warning, the Germans responded by unleashing a campaign of bold, rapid infantry movements, with cavalry providing cover or pursuing the crushed foe. Hitting where least expected and advancing before the Romanians could react--even bombing their capital from a Zeppelin soon after war was declared--the Germans and Austrians poured over the formidable Transylvanian Alps onto the plains of Walachia, rolling up the Romanian army from west to east, and driving the shattered remnants into Russia. Prelude to Blitzkrieg tells the story of this largely ignored campaign to determine why it did not devolve into the mud and misery of trench warfare, so ubiquitous elsewhere
    from Amazon

Comment

• Originally posted by joea View Post
      Wasn't that the UFO guy??
      Different guy.
      КАЗАНЦЕВ Александр Степанович. Родился в 1908 г. в Челябинске. Учился в кадетском корпусе. В Гражданскую войну, вместе с корпусом эвакуируется во Владивосток , далее в Шанхай и в 1924 г. в Югославию где и заканчивает среднее образование. Поступает на юридический факультет Белградского университета, зарабатывая на жизнь и учебу игрой в струнном ансамбле. В 1930 г. вступает в НТС. Занимается журналистикой. Сотрудничает в ряде русских и иностранных газет. Редактирует журнал «Огни», а в предвоенные годы центральный орган НТС, газету «За Россию».С началом 2-й Мировой войны пытается пробраться на оккупированную немцами территорию России. Однако, по поручению руководства НТС остается в Берлине, где поступает на службу в систему отбора русских военнопленных. Активный участник РОД. С ноября 1944 по февраль 1945 гг. редактирует центральный орган ОДНР - газету «Воля Народа». После отставки, из-за опасности ареста Гестапо уезжает из Берлина. Автор книги Третья сила /1952 г./. Скончался в 1963 г.
      Источники: Казанцев А. Третья сила.Frankfurt/Main, 1974.

Comment

• Firsthand accounts of the covert intelligence gathering episodes of then Lt Eugene Franklin Clark. on the Inchon area including Flying Fish Channel. The original writings were given to Thomas Fleming by Commander Eugene Franklin USN (Ret) by his family.
        Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

• ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Is this good?

Do you read all the time...?

Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
            Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
            Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
            Barbarossa Derailed I & II
            Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

• Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
              Is this good?
              I'm only two chapters in but I'm certainly feeling my weakness in the area of WWI history. What exactly American Operational Art consists of in contrast to strategy has been a sticking point of mine and a few others here, and I'm only recently coming back around to the subject after a short hiatus. I'm having trouble seeing the plausibility of the author tying American operational art to the American Civil War, but he's warranted an opinion. I would certainly recommend you picking it up, but I don't feel I've read enough to judge the work as a whole quite yet.

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
              Do you read all the time...?
              Pretty much. I don't finish nearly the amount of stuff I pick up, but I'm constantly reading—almost non-stop. I started a thread some time ago on the reading habits of ACG users that addressed this issue. I've been off of work for a few days with a severe case of strep throat, bed-ridden and on antibiotics, so I've caught up on a good portion of my backlog; hence the amount of posting lately. I usually post a title when I begin reading it. This does not necessarily mean that I'll finish it, sadly. I've been consciously forcing myself to take home only the books I believe I'll have time to finish, and setting attainable reading goals.
              ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4,203,200_.jpg

Actually I'm listening to it at Audible.
                If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• About 100 pages into this - quite good so far.

I didn't think much of his previous book 'All Hell Let loose' though.
                  HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogsbody67 View Post

About 100 pages into this - quite good so far.
                    Welcome to the club

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                    It seems to be the most widely read book within the ACG community of fall of 2013
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
                      Heard this one is a great story but with a present-day agenda: big business - good; government - bad.

Comment

• I've only scanned through a few pages but it covers aspects of 20th Century warfare that mainstream histories seem to ignore.
                        Signing out.

Comment

• Finally the reason for the raid at Dieppe makes some sense.

Magnificent and engrossing, One Day in August reveals in full for the first time the “Ultra Secret” story behind one of WW2’s most controversial mysteries—and one of Canada’s most sorrowful moments.
                          Just over a third of the way through yet I am ready to say . Well written and so far provides a solid background on why Dieppe was chosen. My only complaint might be not enough written on other raids which may suprise others were really covers for pinches as well.

Comment

• Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll.
                            "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• Originally posted by Greybriar View Post
                              Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll.
                              That is a nice one indeed, covering all aspects of naval warfare: political decision making, the ship building details, naval combat.
                              Must admit: I love his battle descpriptions best
                              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Salud!: British Volunteers in the Republican Medical Service During the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X