Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Bow View Post
    Max Hastings...Catastrophe...Europe goes to war 1914.....

    Good book, by a good author about how the whole mess started in the first place and all the main players....

    It seems to be the most widely read book within the ACG community of fall of 2013
    BoRG

    You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

    Comment


    • The Wolf by Richard Guilliatt and Peter Hohnen. It the story of the German raider Wolf in World War 1. It focuses on the captives of the captured ships.

      Comment


      • "Dead Souls" by Nikolai Gogol

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
          It seems to be the most widely read book within the ACG community of fall of 2013
          LOL. I came really close to picking it up today. Probably will in the next week or so.
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Legate View Post
            LOL. I came really close to picking it up today. Probably will in the next week or so.
            You could do a lot worse than that. NB it is a big book.
            I'm just over halfway now and to my pleasure Max Hastings has included a chapter on the naval battle at Heligoland Bight, definitely not the worst one
            BoRG

            You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
              You could do a lot worse than that. NB it is a big book.
              I'm just over halfway now and to my pleasure Max Hastings has included a chapter on the naval battle at Heligoland Bight, definitely not the worst one
              How's his coverage of the Eastern Front?
              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Legate View Post
                How's his coverage of the Eastern Front?
                Better than most.
                Mind you, I'm only halfway, but already he has covered the A-H incursions into Serbia and both the battles of Tannenberg and Masurian Lakes in East Prussia. He devoted a full chapter to each.
                Galicia I haven't reached yet.
                BoRG

                You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

                Comment


                • 'Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia 1600-1947' by Christopher Clarke.
                  Signing out.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
                    'Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia 1600-1947' by Christopher Clarke.
                    Great book indeed (bit weak on WW1 though IIRC)
                    and I take it quite useful for the current discussion in another thread
                    BoRG

                    You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

                    Comment




                    • George Orwell's Commander in Spain: The Enigma of Georges Kopp

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                        Great book indeed (bit weak on WW1 though IIRC)
                        and I take it quite useful for the current discussion in another thread
                        Well, yes. I'd forgotten I'd got it and the discussion on that thread reminded me that I needed to read it. So I put my speed-reading glasses on and away I went. It may be weak on WW1 but I think I can cope with that!
                        Signing out.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
                          Well, yes. I'd forgotten I'd got it and the discussion on that thread reminded me that I needed to read it. So I put my speed-reading glasses on and away I went. It may be weak on WW1 but I think I can cope with that!
                          Why 1947...?

                          Fred
                          Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
                          River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by leandros View Post
                            Why 1947...?
                            Do you want to guess or to Google it?
                            BoRG

                            You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

                            Comment


                            • The Art of War by Sun Tzu

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by leandros View Post
                                Why 1947...?

                                Fred
                                1947 was when Prussia was formally abolished as a state by the Allies.
                                If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X