This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Menelaus View Post

I'm currently a couple of chapters into The Korean War by Max Hastings. So far, I'm rather impressed. It goes back through the history of problems on the Korean Peninsula, hundreds of years back, through to why/how Rhee ended up in charge of S.Korea. Just getting to the invasion of the south now. From what I've read so far though I can definitely recommend it!
    After you finish that one give this one a serious look. It not only covers the Korean war but events and personalities of major figures going back considerable years.
    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

• Originally posted by Menelaus View Post

I'm currently a couple of chapters into The Korean War by Max Hastings. So far, I'm rather impressed. It goes back through the history of problems on the Korean Peninsula, hundreds of years back, through to why/how Rhee ended up in charge of S.Korea. Just getting to the invasion of the south now. From what I've read so far though I can definitely recommend it!
      Good book that

Hastings is a terrific writer of military history

- even if he is a bit of a Tory reactionary!
      http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Just out in softcover.

War in Peace: Paramilitary Violence in Europe after the Great War

Comment

• Currently in the middle of Rick Atkinson's Day of Battle. For some reason I started with the middle book of his trilogy.
            So far I'm impressed.

Before that I finished American Sniper and Marcus Luttrell's Lone Survivor. It was good to read the two books right after each other but I did grow a little irritated at the repeating themes in the books that soldiers should be just left alone to fight their own way and politicians had no business interfering with the military. I kept thinking that wars like Afghanistan, and particularly Iraq, were/are primarily and necessarily political. It was never a question of just occupying space.

Comment

• Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
              Before that I finished American Sniper and Marcus Luttrell's Lone Survivor. It was good to read the two books right after each other but I did grow a little irritated at the repeating themes in the books that soldiers should be just left alone to fight their own way and politicians had no business interfering with the military. I kept thinking that wars like Afghanistan, and particularly Iraq, were/are primarily and necessarily political. It was never a question of just occupying space.
              I will have to disagree with you on your point of allowing politicians to interfere with the general operation of the military in a combat situation. I point you to the Vietnam War and the micromanaging of the day to day operation of the military. If the President and Congress has ordered the military into a combat situation it should be left up to the military on how to prosecute the war. The only restriction on how the military wages the war should be only general restriction such as; you will not mine Hanoi harbor, no crossing the Yalu river. Other than that no, the restrictions placed on the military has cost lives. I give you the ROE's in various military conflicts in the last 5 decades as examples.
              Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

• "The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia" by Orlando Figes.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Whisperers...hisperers+book

Comment

• Armor and Blood.....The battle of Kursk...

Dennis E Showalter........Interesting read.

Comment

• It Never Snows In September by Robert J. Kershaw: The German View of Market Garden and the Battle of Arnhem, September 1944.

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                      -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                        How is it?
                        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• So far it is good. It start by looking at what the book will focus on as the two 'main camps' - the Spanish question and the Dutch question (as forms of governing). I am only on the second chapter, but the book will cover social, economic, and religious aspects of the era - as well as the main military topics.
                          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Armies of the Raj: From the Great Indian Mutiny to Independence 1858-1947 by Byron Farwell.
                            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Eric Browns autobio

Comment

• Max Hastings...Catastrophe...Europe goes to war 1914.....

Good book, by a good author about how the whole mess started in the first place and all the main players....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X