• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
    I own this one.

Excellent book.
    What's the author's bona fides?
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
      According to the dust jacket, he's a professor of Russian History at the London School of Economics. It also says that three of his direct ancestors were generals at the Battle of Leipzig.

Looking forward to reading this.
      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Lieven

http://www.lse.ac.uk/internationalHi...ff/lieven.aspx
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Currently reading Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life as the Duck Commander by Phil Robertson. Pretty good book.
          SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
            According to the dust jacket, he's a professor of Russian History at the London School of Economics. It also says that three of his direct ancestors were generals at the Battle of Leipzig.

Looking forward to reading this.
            Looks like a strong expertise and interest for writing the book. I'll have to put it on my to read list.
            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• More details and excerpts here:
              http://www.tainanbooks.com/

Very well written and researched and sets a new standard for writing about the JNAF in English.

Comment

• Just finished Alanbrooke by David Fraser.
                I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Looks like a strong expertise and interest for writing the book. I'll have to put it on my to read list.
                    Wrote this for a friend on another site. Hopefully it'll help you decide whether or not it's worth your while.

I like it. It's written almost entirely from the Russian side. It's more of an overall look at the Russian war effort rather than a detailed review of the various battles. The author does a good job giving thumbnail bios of the various officers, diplomats and officials of the Russian Empire. And the author had 3 direct ancestors who fought on the Russian side as officers which understandably gives him a reason to tell the Russian side and to do it well. And he "likes" Barclay de Tolly, giving him a lot of credit for the strategy that ultimately beat Napoleon. And although I haven't got that far yet, (Nappy has just taken Moscow) Lieven covers the 1813 campaign in Germany and the 1814 invasion of France. Looking forward to that part.

As for whether or not he gets it all right, I cannot be the judge as this is the first book I've ever read covering Nappy's invasion of Russia and the campaigns that followed that is written from the Russian point of view. And I'm not a student of the Napoleonic Wars but a casual reader so all of this is new to me. But it is an interesting book. And to complete my liking of it, I got it at Barnes And Noble in bargain section for $7.99 and hardcover to boot.
                    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Just finished reading Pilgrim’s Wilderness: A True Story of Faith and Madness on the Alaska Frontier by Tom Kizzia. This is an absolutely fascinating book. It ranges in subject matter from Texas and the death of Governor John Connolly’s daughter to government land policies and the National Park Service in Alaska with a stop in New Mexico along the way, but the main story is the family dynamics of a strange man of faith or no faith, take your pick. At the end, although there is a relatively happy end, there is still a lingering sense of tragedy and sorrow for what the man’s children had to go through. This is a book that reads like a crime novel but is a very true story according to the author.
                      Homo homini lupus

Comment

• just started Max Hastings, Catastrophe 1914
                        quite enjoyable
                        I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Just finished Rising Sun by Robert Conroy. Very good.
                          SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
                            just started Max Hastings, Catastrophe 1914
                            quite enjoyable
                            Same here.
                            I wrote my first impressions here in the WW1 section.
                            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• The Korean War

I'm currently a couple of chapters into The Korean War by Max Hastings. So far, I'm rather impressed. It goes back through the history of problems on the Korean Peninsula, hundreds of years back, through to why/how Rhee ended up in charge of S.Korea. Just getting to the invasion of the south now. From what I've read so far though I can definitely recommend it!
                              "In Critical and baffling situations, it is always best to return to first principle and simple action." Sir Winston Churchill.

Comment

• Really good, much better than I thought it would be.
                                HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X