Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Between Giants and Battleground Prussia, both by Prit Buttar.
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/betw...=9781780961637

Comment

• The Black Count, absolutely a fascinating book...

In the 1790s, the son of an aristocratic white father and a black slave woman became a charismatic French general who for a time rivaled Napoleon himself, and afterward languished in an Italian dungeon. His story inspired the novel “The Count of Monte Cristo,” written by his son, Alexandre Dumas, who also drew upon his father’s adventures in “The Three Musketeers.” Posterity remembers this son as Dumas père, to distinguish him from Alexandre Dumas fils, also a writer, whose novel “La Dame aux Camélias” was the source for Verdi’s “La Traviata.” But the general was the first of the three Alexandres (he preferred to be known as Alex), and in “The Black Count,” Tom *Reiss, the author of “The Orientalist,” has recovered this fascinating story with a richly imaginative biography.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/bo...anted=all&_r=0
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• I also just snagged:

...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• I came up with a biography about Napoleon by Frank McLynn. Has anyone read it? Any reviews? Thank you in advance!
            Time is inside of us and we are inside time. It turns us and we turn It.
            Vasil Levski

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...91#post2139891

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Hussar View Post
              I came up with a biography about Napoleon by Frank McLynn. Has anyone read it? Any reviews? Thank you in advance!
              Actually, it was one of the few biographies I have read about Napoleon. My one and only gripe was that it was absolutely stuffed with psychobabble throughout. It wears one down after a while, hearing constantly why exactly Napoleon may have made nearly every decision he did.
              ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Continuing with my classical bender:

Comment

• `
                  A bit of "historical comedy".

" Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

• Spellbound. Very enjoyable book...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10822283-spellbound
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                          Excellent book, thought I like to read it in the winter months for optimum effect
                          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                            Excellent book, thought I like to read it in the winter months for optimum effect
                            That's clever atmosphere. Will you do that during a snow storm, in the nude?
                            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                              That's clever atmosphere. Will you do that during a snow storm, in the nude?
                              Rick, there is a bit of an artist in you

It just occured to me that I really do prefer to read about winter campaigns (Russia, Poland) in those months when days are shorter
                              and about campaigns in hot climates (India, Africa) during summer months.
                              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                                I own this one.

Excellent book.
                                "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X