Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From what I can see it only deals with Jan 1969 - May 1969. I'm not sure that it covers even his entire time with the 4/39th.
    "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• I'm about half way through Max Hastings "Armagedon" it's amazing it dispells so many myths and half truths and really draws you in to want to find out more about WWII .

Comment

• Originally posted by cujo8-1
        Grenadiers by Kurt 'Panzer' Meyer.

Interesting account of fighting by someone who fought on all fronts (except the African).
        WHere can I find this book?
        Kevin Kenneally
        Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
        Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Kenneally
          WHere can I find this book?
          Grenadiers: The Story Of Waffen SS General Kurt 'Panzer' Meyer

Paperback: 436 pages
          Publisher: Stackpole Books (June 1, 2005)
          Language: English
          ISBN: 0811731979
          Andy "Weeble" Weaver

Research, Reference and Historical Study

Illud Latine dici non potest

Comment

• Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin. I think it is called An Archer's Tale in the USA. Cornwell is the author of the Sharpe novels. This one is also fictional but takes place around actual events. It is well researched, in that it talks about what the life of an archer would be like at the time. It follows an archer of Edward III through 'Sharpe like' adventures in France just before the battle of Crecy.
            AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• "With the Old Breed" by EB Sledge.

Brutal, brutal stuff about the Pacific Theatre. I've been mainly a more modern combat book reader (Vietnam through now), but my first real taste of the WWII Pacific stuff makes everything else seem like childs play. A real eye opener and a top notch read. I'm sure most of you have read it...

Comment

• Reading some more of

History of the Irish Brigades in the Service of France

from the

Revolution in Great Britain and Ireland under james II, to the Revolution in france under Louis XVI

by John Cornelius O'Callaghan

Been reading this over a number of years as it's fairly detailed and requires some attention to follow the style of writing. Great book nonetheless with a huge amountof military information on Irish soldiers in the French service from 1689-1792.

also

The Communist Manifesto by Marx and Engels.

Trying to see how much is relevant to todays international capitalist system as in 1848.

Quite a bit I would think, though that is not say I agree with their proposed solution!
                http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• I am enjoying Mark Yerger's biography work on SS-Sturmbannführer Ernst August Krag. He had a really fascinating career as the most decorated Aufklarungsabteilung(recon unit) commander. He commanded 2.SS Panzer Division Das Reich's Aufklarungsabteilung.
                  Awarded the Knights Cross with oakleaves and German cross in gold.

Regards
                  Fatih
                  "A nation which makes the final sacrifice for life and freedom does not get beaten." - Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

• Best read of 2005...

I finished it back in March.

SHADOW DIVERS

Great read. Can't say enough good about it

Mark DV
                    GR MICH

Comment

• Good Book

I have just started reading "The end of the Imperial Japanese Navy".

Originally published in 1962.

It is supposed to be the Japanese side of how WWII started and how they fought.
                      Kevin Kenneally
                      Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
                      Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

• Fields of Fire by James Webb...
                        The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

• Fort Laramie and the Sioux - by Remi Nadaeu (I think I got the author name right - know that is the title).

Comment

• Working on

The Epic of Gilgamesh.... One screwed up guy to say the least.... I t is one of the oldest things ever written.
                            It's what one knows inside that makes him afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2054172
                              The Epic of Gilgamesh.... One screwed up guy to say the least.... I t is one of the oldest things ever written.
                              Was he the bad guy from the smurfs cartoon?
                              "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• I have Edward j Stackpoles Chancellorsville in front of me now,I like the way he puts his stories together,i know this guy gets a bit of a rough trot but for me they are fine.

My wonderful kids gave me for Christmas Goodbye cobber,god bless you by John Hamilton,the story of the light horse at Gallipoli will be tearing through this in a couple of days,just love all Aussie history

Anyone in Sydney can get this at of all places Big W for 16.95,spotted yesterday at Miranda when i got sucked into the sales

Mark

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X