This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-reading:

Last edited by R. Evans; 15 Jun 13, 01:58.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• A Baltic Odyssey: War and Survival: The after-the-fact reminiscences, by the wife and the contemporaneous diary, by the husband of their experiences in the final year of the conflict.

The wife's story begins in Geppertsfeld on the Prosna in modern-day Poland and recounts her flight, beginning on January 19th 1945 to keep ahead of the rapidly collapsing Eastern Front until finally reaching the Munich area and reunion with her husband in 1946.

The husband's diary begins on August 3, 1945, after 3 months of confinement and chronicles his various experiences at the different prisoner and labor camps in Italy and France until his escape in mid-March 1946.

I've started the book only a few days ago but am very enrapt by the saga so far.

Comment

• Got this for Father's Day
        Read the first 4 chapters, it is excellent so far.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
        John Adams, 1770

Comment

• The Guns at Last Light: The War in Western Europe 1944-1945 by Rick Atkinson.

and

The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor by Jake Tapper.
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• I am "reading" The Last Doughboy by Richard Rubin. I use quotes because I am actually listening to the audio book. It is well written and well narrated too.

I am also reading Jutland 1916 by Peter Hart and Nigel Steel. My goal for the summer is to read all of Peter Hart's WW1 books.
            You don't scare me. I married a redhead.

My Blog

Comment

• Next on the list:

Like Wolves on the Fold: The Defense of Rorke's Drift by Mike Snook.

Mr. Kipling's Army by Byron Farwell.

Queen Victoria's Little Wars by Byron Farwll.

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                Next on the list:

Mr. Kipling's Army by Byron Farwell.

Queen Victoria's Little Wars by Byron Farwll.
                Byron Farwell is a good read IMO. You may wish to add his 'The Gurkhas' to your list.
                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Finished one book. Now on to Aces Falling: The War Above the Trenches, 1918by Peter Hart.

My Blog

Comment

• "Beyond the Wall: Memoirs of an East and West German Spy (Intelligence and National Security Series)" by Werner Stiller and Jefferson Adams. I'd read about him before in another book, so I decided to get his book.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Wall-In...he+wall+Werner

Comment

• I'm currently reading several right now:

Robert Morris Financier of the American Revolution by Charles Rappleye

Patriot Pirates The Privateer War for Freedom and Fortune in the American Revolution by Robert H. Patton

The First American by H.W. Brands

The Divine Comedy by Dante

The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain

Benjamin Tallmadge
                      Culper Spy Ring
                      Leader-Spy Master
                      (We still exist to this day)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"...Ye shall know the truth and it shall set you free." ~ John 8:32
                      Culper Spy Ring (We still exist)

He that spies kills ~ Irish Proverb

There are more leaks here than in the men’s room at Anheuser-Busch. ~ Barry Goldwater

"...Ye shall know the truth and it shall set you free." ~ John 8:32

Comment

• September Blood: The Battle of Carnifex Ferry by Terry Lowry. This is a top-notch study on a small-scale battle early in the Civil War, a fight which determined the fate of the Kanawha Valley in the fall of 1861, and helped clear the way for West Virginia statehood. Lots of maps and illustrations.

Comment

• American Sniper, by Chris Kyle.

Awesome book. Funny book. Very sad knowing he's dead.

Comment

• Now listening to Three Armies on the Somme by William Philpott. I am also reading 1915: The Death of Innocence by Lyn MacDonald.

My Blog

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Finished last night Diving Stations, George Hunt and H.M.S. Altor.

Then started on 40 Miles a Day on Beans and Hay. Don Rickey

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X