This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    Is that the "condensed" version of "Crucible Of War" by him? About the French And Indian War? If it is, you won't be disappointed. "Crucible Of War"
    is one of the best history books I've ever read no matter the time period. Fred Anderson knows his sh!t!
    Couldn't agree more. That thing could stop a bullet, but man, it was one of the most enjoyable reads that I've ever had.
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
      Couldn't agree more. That thing could stop a bullet, but man, it was one of the most enjoyable reads that I've ever had.
      "Stop a bullet"!

Since you've read it, would you agree that the colonists towards the end of the war and in it's aftermath, come across as whiny crybabies? The case can be made that the British Empire was fully in it's rights to expect the colonists to pay their fair share. A very well-written and though provoking book. I'd recommend it to anybody with even a passing interest in pre-Revolutionary history.
      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
        "Stop a bullet"!

Since you've read it, would you agree that the colonists towards the end of the war and in it's aftermath, come across as whiny crybabies? The case can be made that the British Empire was fully in it's rights to expect the colonists to pay their fair share. A very well-written and though provoking book. I'd recommend it to anybody with even a passing interest in pre-Revolutionary history.
        He did an excellent job of illustrating just that point. After finishing, I honestly felt that at the time, with the opposing viewpoints before me, I probably would have been a tory. When I read it, I was reading a lot of Seven Years War material, and I've never found anything that compares. It'll be decades before anyone else even attempts a revision.
        ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
          He did an excellent job of illustrating just that point. I probably would have been a tory at the time.
          My thoughts exactly.

Comment

• On Order

Comment

• Originally posted by Greybriar View Post
              The War that Made America by Fred Anderson
              That is a very good book. IIRC we discussed it earlier in this thread.
              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                That is a very good book. IIRC we discussed it earlier in this thread.
                Indeed we did. That is why I am reading it now.
                "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• Originally posted by Greybriar View Post
                  Indeed we did. That is why I am reading it now.
                  Great to notice this thread fills a need. Happy reading
                  BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Bismarck by Edward Crankshaw. Looks to be a long summer read and very interesting so far.

"It is sometimes tougher to fight my superiors than the French" Heinz Guderian

Comment

• Originally posted by Major Mannfred View Post
                      Bismarck by Edward Crankshaw. Looks to be a long summer read and very interesting so far.

Great to hear. Bismarck is one of my all time favorites.
                      Have you by any chance had the opportunity to read AJP Taylor's book on Bismarck and if so how do the two compare?
                      BoRG

Comment

• Well thanks to Mountain Man and his thread searching for it I'm now reading Unintended Consequences by John Ross:

BoRG
                        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

• Allan Folsom's The Machiavelli Covenant.
                          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Finally got my hands on Vincent Cronoin's "Napoleon" very interesting reading. I must have read dozens of books about Napoleon but this book adds a new dimension to the man.

Also just finished "The Kings Spy" by Andrew Swantson a fiction story about a spy during the English civil war, I highly recommend it for a good read.
                            An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

• Just finished Bernard Cornwell's 1356. Really good, could hardly put down.
                              Homo homini lupus

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
                                Well thanks to Mountain Man and his thread searching for it I'm now reading Unintended Consequences by John Ross:

Them titties.... lol. Anyways, I'm re-reading the Devil's Guard, pretty awesome book. Almost border line pro-Nazi, anti-Communist, but still a very interesting book.
                                "You hit somebody with your fist and not with your fingers spread." -Heinz Guderian.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X