This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BLHutch25 View Post
    That is a good book and well worth the re-re-reading!
    Yes it is.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Just Ordered Today

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Been Reading alot of Tom Clancy lately

Comment

• One of the doctors who is focused in the book - his widow used to live across the street from my parent's house. My dad and I would shovel her driveway after snow storms as she lived alone at the time.
          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Napoleon As Military Commander

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Esperanza Fire by John Mclean, (accompanied by the official USFS and CalFire accident report at : http://www.fire.ca.gov/fire_protecti...05_01_2007.pdf which is useful when referring to topographical issues)

yet another excellent book by the author of

and

His father wrote the most excellent book : "Young Men and Fire", a must read for anyone interested in Western forest fighting

Comment

• The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir
                "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Just starting The Big If The Life and Death of Johnny Owen by Rick Broadbent.
                  "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                  G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                  Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

• Grand Prix by Marvano

Rereading the Grand Prix series by Marvano,

I have just been driving over the German Autobahn through the Eiffel near the Nurburgring.
                    As I got overtaken by Audis and Mercedes only, it got me thinking of these books...

The middle album (Rosemeyer!) in particular is very good IMO

BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Thinking in Systems: A Primer

Last edited by Lucky 6; 25 Apr 13, 06:52.
                      ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• The African Wars; warriors and soldiers of the Colonial Empires - a better title might be The African Warriors - in the second chapter at the moment and it's very interesting.
                        ------
                        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

• Rules of the Game: Jutland and British Naval Command. by Andrew Gordon. (Kindle version)
                          I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Oddly? This.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Riders-S...sharyn+mccrumb

In 1861 the Civil War reached the mountainous South-where the enemy was your neighbor, the victims were your friends, and the wrong army was whichever one you joined. When Malinda Blalock's husband, Keith, joined the army, she dressed as a boy and went with him. They spent the war close to home in the North Carolina mountains, acting as Union guerrilla fighters, raiding the farms of the Confederate sympathizers and making as much trouble as they could locally. As hard-riding, deadly outlaws, Keith and Malinda avenged Confederate raids on their kin and neighbors. McCrumb also brings into her story the larger-than-life narrative of the historical political figure Zebulon Vance, a self-made man and Confederate governor, who was from the mountains and fought for the interests of Appalachia within the hierarchy of the Confederacy.

Linking the forces of historical unrest with the present-day stories of mountain wisefolk Rattler and Nora Bonesteel, McCrumb weaves two overlapping narratives. It is up to Nora Bonesteel and Rattler to calm the Civil War ghosts who are still wandering the mountains, and prevent a clash between the living and the dead.
                            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Currently reading "The Art of War" by Niccolo Machiavelli

But also have read in the past months:

"The Labyrinth"

"Unholy Wars"

"Campaigns of Alexander"
                              Last edited by patton32; 28 Apr 13, 19:05.

Comment

• Finally getting into the Rick Atkinson triptych. Bought first 2 volume in hard copy and adult daughter asked to take to read. So I have bought again on my Kindle:

51so7LSzlKL__BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight.jpg Been really enjoying so far.
                                Boston Strong!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X