X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Conflict of Visions: Ideological Origins of Political Struggles

Thomas Sowell

http://homepage.eircom.net/~odyssey/...t_Visions.html
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• Lake Wobegon Days - Garrison Keillor
      ------
      'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

• Early Theological Writings, G. W. F. Hegel

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
            Shifted to modern fiction this week. Impact, by Douglas Preston.

I've always wanted to check out his books.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America

...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Small Wars and Skirmishes 1902-18: Early Twentieth-Century Colonial Campaigns in Africa, Asia and the Americas by Edwin Herbert

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Hi

French Cruisers 1922-1956 by John Jordan & Jean Moulin
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Cruis.../dp/1591142962
                    Attached Files
                    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

• Rework

...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• I started reading this one last night:

It's a page turner, and I swallowed the whole of Part I in just my under-the-covers reading. I'll read the rest over the weekend, I'm sure.

No spoilers, but what Thomas does is this: he says Stonewall Jackson still gets shot at Chancellorsville, still loses an arm, and spends the summer recuperating. Thus, he misses Gettysburg.

However, that means he is there for the Bristoe Campaign in the autumn. So instead of Lee having A.P. Hill and Ewell, he has Jackson and Ewell. No major spoilers, but Lee and Jackson score another big win on the AotP, and when Bragg resigns after Chattanooga, Jackson is promoted to replace him.

Comment

• Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation

Comment

• Comment

• The Man Who Invented The Computer: The Biography of John Atanasoff, Digital Pioneer

Comment

• Ordered directly from our own Eric Wittenberg and he was kind enough to include a signing. And a very good read I might add.

On a personal note, it's the first book I've ever had signed by the author. Very nice of Eric to do so.
                                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X