Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It truly is. I am considering logging off and going back to it.
    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
      Sergio Leone: Something To Do With Death By Christopher Frayling
      I'm a huge Leone fan.

      Always wanted to read that.
      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

      Homer


      BoRG

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
        I think I started reading a bit of Killer Angels when I was littler. Not sure I could fully grasp the situation though, so I stopped. It's a gigantic book if I remember, too.
        Not really.

        I just looked it up on Amazon and it's 368 pages.

        About average I'd say.
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

        Homer


        BoRG

        Comment


        • It's a great book...got it for free from the Salvation Army thrift store here in Corinth. I love it.

          -Matt
          SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

          Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Captain General View Post
            Not really.

            I just looked it up on Amazon and it's 368 pages.

            About average I'd say.
            Maybe it was a different version?

            Or more likely, it was gigantic for being a youngster!
            "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

            --Hávamál

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
              Or more likely, it was gigantic for being a youngster!
              Probably so.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

              Homer


              BoRG

              Comment


              • Zen and the Ways by Trevor Leggett: A truly fascinating book.
                Mutare vel timere sperno

                Nec Aspera Terrent

                Comment


                • Finished "Killing Lincoln" a month ago and just picked up "Killing Kennedy". Killing Lincoln was an easy read with a lot of historical information that I had never heard about. I must admit though that history in high school wasn't that interesting. The coach was the teacher and all he did was have us memorize dates.
                  Too Much To Do Too Little Time

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by FTCS View Post
                    I must admit though that history in high school wasn't that interesting. The coach was the teacher and all he did was have us memorize dates.
                    We should do better here at ACG's
                    BoRG

                    You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                      We should do better here at ACG's
                      Yes, I find that various sub-forums are interesting. Fortunately, for me, I really became interested in history 30 years after graduating from high school. Of course, at my age I am history
                      Too Much To Do Too Little Time

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                        I'm a huge Leone fan.

                        Always wanted to read that.
                        It's a little longer and drier than I expected, but it's a good read so far.

                        Also, I picked this up in the library earlier today:

                        ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

                        Comment


                        • I remember my 11th grade history teacher. When we got into World War II, he said something about the Battle of Midway that was incorrect, and my hand shot up and I told him he was wrong. After a five minute debate, he looked up what we were debating and found out I was right and ceded the victory to me. No major victory for me, considering all he usually did was sit in the back of the room and watch tapes from the school's last basketball game. He was the Assistant Coach; for 12th grade Honors Government I had the Head Coach, who was a freakin' idiot who was in his late 50s and apparently thought he was Ed McMahon because he flirted with the 17- and 18-year-old girls.

                          However, in defense of the coaches-turned-teachers, also in my Junior year, the Head Football Coach was my Biology teacher. He was a great teacher. If he'd taught math instead of science I might've gotten better grades because I could actually understand and follow what he was teaching.

                          -Matt
                          SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

                          Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
                            I remember my 11th grade history teacher. When we got into World War II, he said something about the Battle of Midway that was incorrect, and my hand shot up and I told him he was wrong. After a five minute debate, he looked up what we were debating and found out I was right and ceded the victory to me. No major victory for me, considering all he usually did was sit in the back of the room and watch tapes from the school's last basketball game. He was the Assistant Coach; for 12th grade Honors Government I had the Head Coach, who was a freakin' idiot who was in his late 50s and apparently thought he was Ed McMahon because he flirted with the 17- and 18-year-old girls.

                            However, in defense of the coaches-turned-teachers, also in my Junior year, the Head Football Coach was my Biology teacher. He was a great teacher. If he'd taught math instead of science I might've gotten better grades because I could actually understand and follow what he was teaching.

                            -Matt
                            For my 9th grade history (World History/Cultures/Geography) I also corrected my teacher about Midway, and got back a missed point or two on a quiz. I had said it was a very pivotal battle, but it wasn't the best answer, so I emailed him, detailing the results of the Battle of Midway, and how many carriers and other ships we destroyed-I got the point(s) back!

                            He is a coach as well-Varsity football. He had some nuances, although I did get a really good grade on a poster board about Patton, in World History, and got 100% on another poster board about Operation Overlord in European History the following year. I need to pick up the D-Day one, and maybe I'll take a picture of it to show in the WWII forum.
                            "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

                            --Hávamál

                            Comment




                            • I'm just getting up to Waterloo now. Interestingly, some of his footnotes are from historical documents in their original language. I can't say if that helps or not.
                              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

                              Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

                              Comment


                              • "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

                                Homer


                                BoRG

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X