Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Crusade: The Untold Story of The Persian Gulf War by Rick Atkinson

Robert E. Lee on Leadership: Executive Lessons In Character, Courage, and Vision by H.W. Crocker III

Walden and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau
      ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• `
        The Age of Agony: The Art of Healing circa 1700-1800 by Guy Williams

One odd item which comes immediately to mind is the "remedy" of the shock of sudden fright being prescribed by physicians to combat whooping cough as late as 1781. Apparently, this was, from time to time, much worse than useless, as evidenced by a particular passage:
        Not all the sick children treated gratuitously to a shock of sudden fright came out unscathed from the experience. In the Gentleman's Magazine of Wednesday, 25 August 1736, it was reported that two remarkable trials had 'come on' at Rochester, in the County of Kent:

One. . .of a Soldier who pretended to cure a Boy of an Ague, and thinking to frighten it away, by firing his Piece over the Boys Head, levell'd it too low, and shot his Brains out...

pp65-66
        " Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

• Currently i am going through a nostalgic phase as i am reading back issues of my White Dwarf magazines.

Comment

• "Forty Miles a Day on Beans and Hay." One great book about the post Civil War US Army infantry and cavalry in conquering the west.
            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

• Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
              "Forty Miles a Day on Beans and Hay." One great book about the post Civil War US Army infantry and cavalry in conquering the west.
              I've always wanted to read that one.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• I am about to start "SCOTLAND..The Story of a Nation" by Magnus Magnusson and it is one I read a long time ago and I am going to do it again
                "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Sport and Travel - accounts of hunting in Asia Minor and North America,
                  F.C. Selous
                  ------
                  'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

• Bambi vs. Godzilla: On the Nature, Purpose, and Practice of the Movie Business by David Mamet. Great so far!
                    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Bambi vs. Godzilla...surprised Hollywood hasn't made that one yet.

-Matt
                      SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
                        Bambi vs. Godzilla...surprised Hollywood hasn't made that one yet.

-Matt
                        They have, it's what he based the title off of:

I just finished it this afternoon. It's great if you'd like to know his opinions on why the movie industry makes such crap nowadays, and are rarely brave enough to produce anything other than a sequel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
                          They have, it's what he based the title off of:

I just finished it this afternoon. It's great if you'd like to know his opinions on why the movie industry makes such crap nowadays, and are rarely brave enough to produce anything other than a sequel.

I think Hollywood is planning a remake of this classic battle.

In regards to David Mamet, I highly recommend the movie "House of Games".

http://www.amazon.com/House-Games-Li...House+of+Games

Comment

• http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307409074/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

The Fourth Star: Four generals and Their Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army.

Insightful, a pleasure to read and taking a surprisingly military view on the issue.
                            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                              http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307409074/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

The Fourth Star: Four generals and Their Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army.

Insightful, a pleasure to read and taking a surprisingly military view on the issue.
                              Looks interesting.
                              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X