This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Flying Car Awaits - Paul Milo
    Last edited by GCoyote; 19 Aug 12, 17:58.
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton by Martin Van Creveld.
      ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• I am about to start The Life of Sir Roger Mortimer Ruler of England 1327-1330 The Greatest Traitor by Ian Mortimer..read it before and loved it..
        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Currently, I am reading Sherman’s Civil War: Selected Correspondence of William T. Sherman 1860—1865 edited by Brooks D. Simpson and Jean V. Berlin in hardcover, that I picked up at the library donation shelf for $2.00. I am still puffed up about that. It seems like it was never read before it is in such good shape. I like the personal views of Sherman as he lives through things.

I also am reading Defend the Valley: A Shenandoah Family in the Civil War by Margaretta Barton Colt, a book that I picked up at a local book store that sells resale books as well as new stuff. Got it for $4.78. It is also hardcover and another good buy. It is NF book about several men, all connected by family or marriage, and how they went through the war. Several kept diaries or wrote memoirs after the war so again this is a book with personal viewpoints.

And for fun, I am reading A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin. I love the formatting of his chapters and how they jump from character to character so that you can read a chapter and lay the book down and come back to it three days later and not be lost. You feel you are in another world when you are reading his A Song of Fire and Ice books. Good stuff. A Storm of Swords is the third in the series.
          Homo homini lupus

Comment

• Gods and Fighting Men, by Lady Gregory
            Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Well lets see, I think I left off with reading the first Splinter Cell. Finished that.

In the meantime, I read:

I think it's a modern day classic/masterpiece. It makes great and even cruel use of irony and there's a ton of symbolism and subliminal things that I didn't realize until after I had read it. Hosseini deserves every compliment in writing style and general story.

and am currently starting:

I'm a whole 70 odd pages into the book...which is like OVER 9,000!!!!

No not really, more like 900 or so pages.

The page numbers seem to keep increasing: from what I remember, I read Clear and Present Danger which was 688 pgs, then Red Storm Rising which was 725 pgs, and now Sum of All Fears is 900 or so pages. But good God, Without Remorse and Locked On look monstrous!
                "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• The Army of General Vlasov in Bohemia, Stanislav Ausky

Comment

• My life to read list includes the rest of Tom Clancy's original fiction books, Sun Tzu's Art of War, On War by Clausewitz, the Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian, and others.

However a non-military related one that I read a quick description of was The Master and Margarita. It said it was about the Devil going to Moscow. It's by some Russian author, don't remember his name though. I think his last name was Bulgakov or something. Anyways, the book was on a list of bucket list books, albeit not very high on the list-has anyone read it?
                    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Without Remorse is a dark book.

Clark is a beast.

I really like Clancy's non fiction as well especially secret opps.
                      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                      John Adams, 1770

Comment

• The Job by Charlie Bezzina, about his time as a homicide detective in Melbourne. A bit off-topic for me, but interesting nonetheless. Will be starting on Homicide - Life on the Killing Streets afterwards.

You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

• Originally posted by modelsinchina View Post
                          Without Remorse is a dark book.

Clark is a beast.

I really like Clancy's non fiction as well especially secret opps.
                          My plan, if nothing else (when it comes to reading Clancy's books) is to read all the original fiction. I have read The Hunt for Red October, Red Storm Rising, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, and Clear and Present Danger. Currently reading The Sum of All Fears, so I'm well on my way.

But if I can help it, I'd like to check out the non-fiction...any particularly good ones I should check out? Or are they all good?

--Hávamál

Comment

• My cousin has given me a book to read. He said if I don't like it, I can hit him. It is The Ballad of Frankie Silver, about the first woman executed in North Carolina in 1833. It tells 2 parallel stories. One of the present, and the 1833 one. I'm gonna give it a whirl.
                            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Im starting Alexander Kent's Richard Bolitho's series with Midshipman Bolitho

Comment

• Into the Storm, Book One of Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen series.

-Matt
                                SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X