This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Battle of the Crater, The Civil War's Cruelist Mission
    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Love Bryson's books, he's hilarious

Comment

• Started this, it not too bad.
        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
        John Adams, 1770

Comment

• 'Catch That Tiger' - Churchill's secret order and the most dangerous WW2 mission

Unleashed by Hitler in 1942, the German Tiger tank was by far the most powerful tank ever built at the time. The 60-ton monster could destroy any Allied tank from more than a mile away, and it soon became the most feared tank in the world. Desperate to discover the secret technology used in the Tiger's manufacture, Winston Churchill close a brilliant young army engineer, Major Doug Lidderdale, as his special agent. In a late-night briefing in the subterranean War Rooms under Whitehall he ordered him: 'Go catch me a tiger'.

Doug did not hesitate and by February 1943 was facing Rommel's desert army. After several unsuccessful and hair-raising efforts to bag a Tiger on the battlefields of Tunisia, Doug and his team put their lives on the line in a terrifying, close-hand shoot-out with the five-man crew of a Tiger, capturing the tank intact. The morale boost to the Allies was such that both Churchill and King George VI flew to Tunis to examine the Tiger first hand.

But the Germans were not finished with Doug. They did not want the secrets of the Tiger benefitting the Allies' sabotage attempts, and constant attacks by the Luftwaffe and U-boats pursued Doug and his men on every step of the journey back to England. But eventually, by October 1943, the Tiger - number 131 - was delivered to London and gifted to Churchill, who had it placed on London's Horse Guards Parade. Lidderdale went on to use some of the Tiger technology to develop war machines for the D-Day landings and was promoted to Colonel. Tiger 131 is now kept at Bovington Tank Museum and is the only working Tiger in the world.

amazon.co.uk/Catch-That-Tiger-Noel-Botham/dp/1857826604/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339494908&sr=8-1

facebook.com/pages/Catch-That-Tiger-Noel-Botham-and-Bruce-Montague/315622425190857

johnblakepublishing.co.uk/e-store/Catch-That-Tiger.html

Comment

• very cool!
            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
            John Adams, 1770

Comment

• The Serpent and the Moon by Princess Michael of Kent...it is about Diana de Poitiers and King Henry II and his wife Catherine Medici..very good read especially concerning the early 16th century of France and all the politics..
              "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
              "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Братья Карамазовы, Ф.М. Достоевский

Comment

• Congo Disaster by Colin Legum, South African journalist and writer

Excellent and informative book on the lead-up to and early days of the Congo Crisis. Colin Legum writes well.

An old Penguin paperback you could have bought in 1961/62 for 2/6. Ah, the early 60s. Those were the days when you could still get value for money.

Mutare vel timere sperno

Nec Aspera Terrent

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                    The Battle of the Crater, The Civil War's Cruelist Mission
                    I have been to this battlefield. Very interesting battle.

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

• ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
                        I thoroughly enjoyed American Lion!
                        I've always tried to teach you two things 007. First, never let them see you bleed.
                        And the second?
                        Always have an escape plan.
                        -Q

Comment

• Originally posted by VanguardFC007 View Post
                          I thoroughly enjoyed American Lion!
                          It's very good so far. I actually didn't see the subtitle until I got home from the library; I didn't realize it was more focused on his presidency. His earlier life is just as exciting if not more so, but I'm content with a narrative of his administration.

I've also begun an ad hoc examination of the Two-Party system. I'll probably be posting on this topic in the politics forum in the future, god help me. I'm looking at the issue from the viewpoint of third party politics. Is one viable? I'm also looking for any sort of sociological or statistical study of voting habits if anyone has one to recommend.

...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post

I've also begun an ad hoc examination of the Two-Party system. I'll probably be posting on this topic in the politics forum in the future, god help me. I'm looking at the issue from the viewpoint of third party politics. Is one viable? I'm also looking for any sort of sociological or statistical study of voting habits if anyone has one to recommend.
                            Good luck!
                            I've always tried to teach you two things 007. First, never let them see you bleed.
                            And the second?
                            Always have an escape plan.
                            -Q

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• To Bee or Not to Bee - A story about a bee's spiritual journey.
                                TTFN

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X