• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson.
    This is a GREAT BOOK!!

Don

Comment

• Classics Illustrated from the 1960s. I know.... I got them on E-Bay and they're really great. I doubt I will ever read the actual books. I like the cartoons. I wish they would re-release the entire series. It's one of the reasons I got interested in history back in 6th grade. Mr. Hogan had a bunch of copies in the back of his room.
      Slug
      "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

• I picked up The Blitzkrieg Myth by John Mosier at Half Priced Books (just love that store!!). Excellent book so far that seeks to prove the fallicy of both Fuller's and Douhet's therories on warfare. It really raises some interesting points on Germany's early war victories.
        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

• Franklin Delano Roosevelt A Champion of Freedom by Conrad Black. This book is massive and highly detailed and I must say that Black did an outstanding job writing this book. Too bad he was a crook......
          There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

• 17 pages ouch thread is way to long to read hehe. Otherwise I would say this thread hehe.

But as I am between Terry Brooks novels, I decided to give my copy of The Long Left Flank by Jeffery Williams a read.

A good book on a topic often bypassed.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slug
              Classics Illustrated from the 1960s. I know.... I got them on E-Bay and they're really great. I doubt I will ever read the actual books. I like the cartoons. I wish they would re-release the entire series. It's one of the reasons I got interested in history back in 6th grade. Mr. Hogan had a bunch of copies in the back of his room.
              Slug
              Great Series!

I used to have dozens of copies picked up from newsagents around Dublin back in the 60's.

Must say I found them a great introduction to History and Literature for a young teenager.

Sadly I have only one remaining copy The Rough Rider on Teddy Roovevelt.
              http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• Just beginning 1805:Austerlitz by Robert Goetz

Comment

• "Hitler's Mountain Troops" by James Lucas
                  &
                  "Ortona" by Mark Zuehlke
                  Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• Just rescued three from a local bookstore's bargain bin ($4 per book, hardcover!):

Descending from the Cloud - A Memoir of Combat in the 505 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division by Spencer F. Wurst & Gayle Wurst

Gettysburg by Stephen W. Sears

World War II - The Axis Assault, 1939-1942: The Documents, Speeches, Diaries, and Newspaper Reporting That Defined World War II
                    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

• Originally posted by aneifer
                      I'm almost done reading "Fighting in Hell, The German Ordeal on the Eastern Front."

It is based on the recollections of veteran German commanders while serving in Russia.
                      It's pretty detailed in the analysis of weather, equipment, roads, rails, tactical movment, terrain, and logistics. A very good read for those who are interested in the Eastern Front.

Another excellent book is "Stalingrad" by Anthony Beavor. I've read it 4 times, and need to buy another copy of it.
                      Got all those books about the Germans on the east front for free from the US Government printing office in the 1980s. Very detailed inforamtion.
                      Kevin Kenneally
                      Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
                      Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

• Just finished two books

I just finished reading "Brazen Chariots", about the British and their fight during "Operation Crusade". Written by Major Crisp who was wounded during this battle.

The other book was "Siegfried Line" by Charles Whiting. I recommend this book to high school kids to learn about some good facts about the fighting in Europe. Sure does dispell the rumors that German was invaded in March 1945, when "FACTUALLY the German border was crossed in September 1944 and the invasion continued throughout the fall of that year.
                        Kevin Kenneally
                        Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
                        Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

• Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden. I posted in another thread looking for a recomendation. Picked it up on the strength of an article about 'also rans' for this years Giller prize.

The book is about two Cree boys who go to war during WWI. They become expert snipers. One struggles with what he is doing, the other revells in it. The story is told from the point of view of one of the boys, who has come home an amputee and morphine addict, and his aunt. The book switches from the story of their three day canoe trip from the train station home, to stories of the aunt's youth, to stories of the war. I'm only about 50 pages in but I can tell it is a very strong book.

There is no sleep the remainder of the night. I toss in my blanket. My body hums with Nephew's pain and with the realization that he has come home only to die.
                          That's p 9. You can tell it is going to be a cheery book.

Most of the war recolections come during morphine induced hazes. These are where you really get to find out about the characters. I think these pasages, which probably make up about 1/3 of the book are enough to hold the interest of the military reader (as opposed to someone interested in Canadian literature).

"We are to go into the front lines today," one near me says.
                          "'Bout time," Sean Patrick answers.
                          McCaan tells him to hush.
                          Elijah leans toward me. "Now we get to hunt," he says.
                          Anyhow, that's a quicky idea of the book after 50 pages. Excellent work. I'll do a proper review after a second reading, which the book deserves. So, chuck your copy of Wind Talkers on the fire to warm yourself while you read this.

Edit: More spew.
                          The world is a different place in this new century, Nephew. And we are a different people. My visions still come but no one listens any longer to what they tell us, what they warn us. I knew even as a young woman that destruction bred on the horizon. In my early visions, numbers of men, higher than any of us could count, were cut down. They lived in the mud like rats and lived only to think of new ways to kill one another. No one is safe in such times, not even the Cree of Mushkeqowuk. War touches everyone, and windigos spring from the earth.
                          The windigo will be an important aspect of the book I think. A windigow is a nightmare spirit. It is physical and spiritual famine. It is canabalistic and can turn other people into windigo. Xavier mentions that the morphine is feeding on him. But when it runs out he will be the one who starves to death. Also, earlier Aunt states,
                          I had the power and watched it slowly recede. I am the second to last in a long line of windigo killers. There is still one more.
                          She isn't speaking metaphorically -yet- her father killed people who where thought to be windigo and was imprisoned for murder. Something the Cree thought was ignorant and malicious. Xavier is her last relative so he must be the last windigo killer I think. He will become windigo and windigo killer. Sounds like a happy ending in the making. Can't wait to see how this turns out and folds back and forth with the WWI stories.

blah blah, I ramble. Great book.
                          Last edited by Duncan; 05 Oct 05, 03:47.
                          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• What I Am Reading

"MONASH"
                            "THE OUTSIDER WHO WON A WAR"
                            BY
                            ROLAND PERRY

Essentially a biography of Sir John Monash who commanded the1st Australian Imperial force(AIF) in World War One.

Some interesting little points from the book.

Monash met Ned Kelly at Gerildere, Victoria where Ned sold his father a stolen horse. Monash was then a teenager and talked with Ned over an afternoon.

"Ludendorf would never have dreamed that a general with a Prussian-German
                            background born at the same time and with roots in a town close to his own
                            birthplace of Kruszewnia, near Posznan, would be his key opponent and nemisis
                            in the war. Given Ludendorf's support for Adolf Hitler in a 1923 coup d'etat, and
                            the generals fascist links and paranoia about Jewish conspiracy theories, he
                            would have been driven to the psychiatrist's couch a lot quicker if he ever learned
                            later that Monash was a Jew."
                            Quoted from page 379, chapter "Breakthrough at Amiens",
                            of the above mentioned book

Comment

• battle cry of freedom

Currently I am reading James M. Mcpherson's BATTLE CRY OF FREEDOM, and I am really truley enjoying it
                              Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

• Latest

The Fall of Constantinople 1453- Runciman. Breaks one's heart. John Julius Norwich also has a good set on Byzantine history generally from start to finish- interesting notes on Varangian Guard.

The Great Siege of Malta 1565- Bradford. He fought here in WWII and he certainly knows the terrain- vivid, compelling and tragic account- the valour here was extraordinary.

The Price of Glory- Alistair Horne. Verdun WWI. Read this and then try Mons 14 using UK field arty on advancing German stacks- the feeling of total carnage should never leave you- it's fortunately not the real thing and with respect I can't imagine though I'm sure some players have been there. One paragraph will stay with me forever- men actually bleating like sheep (baa...) as they reluctantly file in to this cauldron knowing there is no way out...

Lyn Macdonald on a range of WWI battles- search for specific interest. "Somme" for example with it's unique dedication: "This book is dedicated to a single soldier of Kitchener's army. His name is Legion". cf then St. Mark V, 9 if you will...
                                Last edited by General Staff; 17 Oct 05, 20:32.
                                Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                                (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X