Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its written like a thriller: a day-by-day account of the beginning of December and accounts for the actions in Washington, London, Moscow, Berlin and Tokyo - as well as the relevant battlefronts (and battlefronts to-be). So far it hasn't been particularly groundbreaking in terms of new content, but it is full of little facts that I either missed or forgot over the years. Mawdsley's writing is very good.

There are a few little missteps that a fact checker should have caught. For example, when discussing Hitler's secret trip to AGS in early December, Mawdsley writes that Hitler met with Field Marshal von Kleist. However, Kleist didn't receive his baton until 1943.

Those little things notwithstanding, its a solid book.
    Last edited by The Ibis; 02 Jan 12, 02:40.

Comment

• Kholokost v Latvii (The Holocaust in Latvia), M. Margolin

Comment

• "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Explorers of the Nile: The Triumph and Tragedy of a Great Victorian Adventure. by Tim Jeal.

http://www.amazon.com/Explorers-Nile.../dp/0300149352

portion review from Amazon.. Jeal weaves the story with authentic new detail and examines the tragic unintended legacy of the Nile search that still casts a long shadow over the people of Uganda and Sudan.

I always suspected Richard Burton was a bit over-blown regardless of being so fascinating to me. And overblown mostly by himself, and the author kind of lifted the lid more off of that. I came away having an increased regard for John Hanning Speke and Henry Morton Stanley for that matter.
          I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James D. Hornfischer.

-Matt
            SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
              Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James D. Hornfischer.

-Matt
              Excellent book.

I've read it twice.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• The Don Cossacks in Struggle with the Bolsheviks 1917-1919, I. A. Polyakov

Comment

• No Sure Victory:
                  Measuring U.S. Army Effectiveness and Progress in the Vietnam War

by Gregory Daddis

...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• I had used this to write my thesis on Robert E. Lee but never read it through properly. Henderson taught at Sandhurst and then the Staff College and these are some of his lectures there.
                    ------
                    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

• How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Maphead

by Ken Jennings, of Jeopardy fame.

He mentions the education system focuses on teaching literacy (words) , and numeracy (numbers), but why not graphicity (maps). Makes some very interesting points about the value of knowing how to read maps, any kinds of maps.
                        RedDagger18

Comment

• Armagedon in Stalingrad by Glantz and House

It is book two of the Stalingrad Trilogy.

Comment

• The Americans: The Colonial Experience by Daniel J. Boorstin

Comment

• "Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris" by David King. This is very disturbing book about a serial killer, but is interesting that it takes place during the Nazi occupation and the liberation of Paris.

http://www.amazon.com/Death-City-Lig...6686656&sr=8-1

Comment

• Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X