This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First World War by John Keegan.

Reading up on the history before playing Paths of Glory on Vassal with a buddy of mine.
    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie Lynne View Post
      I am about to start "Rogue Warrior" The Explosive Autobiography of the Controversial, Death-Defying Founder of the U.S. Navy's Top Secret Counterterrorist Unit SEAL TEAM SIX..by Richard Marcinko w/ John Weisman..I am wondering if anyone here has read it..

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
      I've never read the book, but I've heard that Marcinko is one who tends to embellish the truth about his SEAL experience a tad bit.
      Robbie, I will second CG. I was working in a book store in the 90's when Marcinko's book came out. It was widely speculated that everything the book contained was not the absolute truth.
      "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
      And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

• Speaking of Marchinko, I just finished reading Caesar's account of the Gaul campaigns and found him to be almost as modest.
        Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

• Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
          Speaking of Marchinko, I just finished reading Caesar's account of the Gaul campaigns and found him to be almost as modest.
          Good one!

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• I'm a little over 200 pages into "Monstrum" by Donald James and am really enjoying it. I hope to finish reading it over the Thanksgiving Holiday.

http://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-Donal...2032109&sr=8-1

Comment

• The Defeat Of Imperial Germany, 1917-1918 by Colonel Rod Paschall. Very interesting and well written.
              "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

Speaking of Marchinko, I just finished reading Caesar's account of the Gaul campaigns and found him to be almost as modest.
                I read a good book called Caesar Agains the Celts by Ramon Jimenez, which I enjoyed. However, anything written by Caeser himself has to be taken with a grain of salt to say the least. I think ol' "Demo Dick" is along the same vein as Ceaser.

Comment

• Yeah, couldn't resist the comparison. heh heh

Lucked out in the book dept. My 1SG had a box addressed to him with a bunch of William Johnstone's stuff in it that he passed along. So I'm working my way through those.
                  Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Yeah, couldn't resist the comparison. heh heh

Lucked out in the book dept. My 1SG had a box addressed to him with a bunch of William Johnstone's stuff in it that he passed along. So I'm working my way through those.
                    Is Johnstone the guy who writes a couple of different series about mountain men and Indian wars? I think I've read some of his stuff.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Materials from the Investigation of General Kornilov, August 1917 - June 1918

Comment

• Pleiku: The Dawn of Helicopter Warfare in Vietnam by J.D. Coleman
                        ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• "A Bright Shining Lie',by Neil Sheehan Anyone ever read this.Is it worth the time

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmike View Post
                              "A Bright Shining Lie',by Neil Sheehan Anyone ever read this.Is it worth the time
                              I read it for one of my classes in Graduate School. It is a very good book.
                              You don't scare me. I married a redhead.

My Blog

Comment

• I am currently reading:

Absolute War by Chris Bellamy.

and

Gettysburg by Noah Andre Trudeau
                                You don't scare me. I married a redhead.

My Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X