Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I posted my review of Andrew Salmon's "Scorched Earth Black Snow" in the Korea Forum, if anyone is interested. I found it a very useful and educational read. I particularly liked the way Andy mixed historical narrative with personal observations of the participants, as well as with succinct tactical overviews of basic infantry combat. Lots of easily absorbed lessons that any lieutenant or captain would do well to review.
    dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

• Getting back to the classics: All Quiet on the Western Front
      "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

• What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848 by Daniel Walker Howe.
        ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Just finished Pegasus Bridge by S. Ambrose. Enjoyed the book, especially after my recent visit to Normandy. I still can't believe Major Howard and his gliders were able to land in such a small space at night. And then capture the Orne bridges and repel the German counterattack.

"Ham and Jam"

About 75 pages into "If Chaos Reigns" right now.

Comment

• Zarozhdenie Dobrovol'cheskoi armii (Birth of the Volunteer Army),
            ed. S. V. Volkov

Comment

• Devouring this: (pun completely intended)

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• The War with Hannibal by Livy

Pretty good and he writes well

It's a pity though we have nothing from the Carthaginian side!
                Last edited by Wolfe Tone; 13 Nov 11, 09:39.
                http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• Just received this one in the mail. Can't wait to start it!

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                  _________
                  BoRG

Comment

• Current Read

Hello,
                    Have just started "Ghosts of Afghanistan: The Haunted Battleground", Berkeley: Counterpoint 2011, by Jonathan Steele.

Steele is a Guardian (UK) correpondent who has spent 30 years covering the region. The book discusses 13 Myths of Afghanistan. What he has written so far supports Bing West's "The Wrong War", which I read earlier. It all makes sense.
                    RedDagger18

Comment

• True Grit by Charles Portis.

Very good so far.
                      HONNEUR ET FIDLIT

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• The Black Echo by Michael Connelly and Longknife about George Rogers Clark.
                        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Achtung! Panzer! by Guderian - English edition 1992. Great book and since it is actually written before the war cool to compare with later events.

Very good comments by Paul Harris.
                          Fred
                          Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
                          River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

Comment

• I've just finished reading 'He Was My Chief' by Christa Schroeder - 'The memoirs of Hitler's Secretary'.

To say it is a disappointment is an understatement. I've seen Christa Schroeder (long dead now, she passed in 1984) interviewed on various WW2 documentaries (I think she may appear in 'World at War' but can't be sure) and late in life she came across as an incredibly attractive, articulate and charismatic woman.

So this book was a complete disappointment I'm afraid. It seems to lose something in the translation - originally written (and thought, obviously) in German, it doesn't quite cross over somehow in terms of language and syntax. It's a bit of a stodgy, stilted read if I'm honest.

In terms of timeline as well it jumps all over the place - one minute it's early 1930s, next it's 1944. It's not a nice chronological read, rise to fall .. but rather here and there, back and forth, and very difficult to keep track. One minute he's assuring everyone they will take control of Leningrad .. then of course they don't .. and he's in a bit of a bad mood, but that's about it!

It's not at all insightful in terms of the character she worked for, who comes across as something of a benign gentleman. The photographs in the book also show her as a very nondescript, rather plump young woman and I had to double check she was actually the same person I'd seen interviewed on various occasions - certainly one of those women who becomes more attractive the older they get. Mind you, this plain, plump girl is pictured at the Berghof with the likes of Braun, Bormann and Speer .. so there is absolutely no doubt she was as close as it was possible to be.

For someone who worked so intimately with Hitler for over 12 years, the narrative is weak and incidental. It does give you an insight of sorts into the day to existence of being a member of Hitler's 'court' but it tells you next to nothing about him. From her point of view, it is very much a case of 'I wasn't interested in politics .. I really didn't know what was going on ... he was ok with me ..' that kind of thing.

Looking online it says that the manuscript is based on interviews that were transcribed on her arrest and incarceration in 1948 .. which may explain the rather detached, 'I didn't know what was going on' approach, which she may have adopted when faced with a prison sentence.

By contrast, the interviews I saw with her on film, were much later when she'd had a decade or two to reflect, and had 'served her time' so therefore was able to be more open, and critical, and indeed honest about her own indoctrination.

It's an easy enough read, but won't shed a great deal of light on anything, other than Hitler's diet, personal habits, taste in music etc. He comes across like he's someone's dear old Uncle in parts, and you have to keep reminding yourself that this man was responsible for the deaths of millions.

Rating - 5/10
                            "COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
                            - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

• I am about to start "Rogue Warrior" The Explosive Autobiography of the Controversial, Death-Defying Founder of the U.S. Navy's Top Secret Counterterrorist Unit SEAL TEAM SIX..by Richard Marcinko w/ John Weisman..I am wondering if anyone here has read it..
                              "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                              "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie Lynne View Post
                                I am about to start "Rogue Warrior" The Explosive Autobiography of the Controversial, Death-Defying Founder of the U.S. Navy's Top Secret Counterterrorist Unit SEAL TEAM SIX..by Richard Marcinko w/ John Weisman..I am wondering if anyone here has read it..
                                I've never read the book, but I've heard that Marcinko is one who tends to embellish the truth about his SEAL experience a tad bit.
                                "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X