Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About a quarter of the way through 'With the old breed' by EB Sledge. I bought it after watching The Pacific box set. Really engrossing. It makes you realise how lucky those of us who have never had to face such things are - because brave men like Sledge faced down tyrany on all our behalves (and his sucessors continue to do so to this day).

The next one I have on my bookshelf to read is 'Helmet for my Pillow' which I also have high hopes for.
    HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• Ashes to Ashes: The Phoenix Program and the Vietnam War by Dale Andradé

This is an easy read: Dale Andradé knows his subject thoroughly and writes in good lucid, economical language.
      Mutare vel timere sperno

Nec Aspera Terrent

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogsbody67 View Post
          About a quarter of the way through 'With the old breed' by EB Sledge. I bought it after watching The Pacific box set. Really engrossing. It makes you realise how lucky those of us who have never had to face such things are - because brave men like Sledge faced down tyrany on all our behalves (and his sucessors continue to do so to this day).

The next one I have on my bookshelf to read is 'Helmet for my Pillow' which I also have high hopes for.
          I bought those same two books after watching The Pacific too! They are both great!

I just finished Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier, which is mind-blowing. I've now moved on to The Manchurian Candidate, by Richard Condon, which is similarly awesome, but for totally different reasons.
          Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
            The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire: From the First Century A.D. to the Third by Edward N. Luttwak
            Ah yes. Luttwak. He is very interesting, but his understanding of ancient history is sadly lacking. The whole concept of a "grand strategy" as he means it was totally alien to the Romans, and is much too modern in concept to apply to Rome. Even so, the book was highly influential when it came out, and has since been ably refuted by several authors. However, these important works which have greatly advanced our understanding of Roman military strategy may never have been written without Luttwak.
            Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

• I just picked these up:

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Hitler: Hubris (1889-1936) by Ian Kershaw.

-Matt
                SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• A book I swiped from my dad's shelf
                  Traveller by Richard Adams
                  Spurrier got chomped in the swamp. Oh Hell Yeah!

Comment

• I was thinking of buying Dereliction of Duty: Johnson, McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam by H.R. McMaster; but I will read Mark Moyar's Phoenix and the Birds of Prey: Counterinsurgency and Counterterrorism after the current book.
                    Last edited by Basaltic; 25 Oct 11, 04:52.
                    Mutare vel timere sperno

Nec Aspera Terrent

Comment

• 2 more form the local library:

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Comment

• Should be called England after Rome, but so far an enjoyable educational read.
                          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                            2 more form the local library:

The book on Frederick the Great is really good..I really liked it
                            "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                            "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

Should be called England after Rome, but so far an enjoyable educational read.
                              If interested in British history, check out "The Story of Britain" by Rebecca Fraser- excellent reference and pleasure read.
                              "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

• I am reading The Making Of Hitler The Birth and Rise of Nazism by Eugene Davidson...good read so far, really goes in depth about the politics of Germany after the signing of the Treaty of Versailles
                                "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                                "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X