Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Surgeon's Mate, by Patrick O'Brian.

One of the most recent of the Aubrey/Maturin novels.

A superb writer !

Edited:- Actually not one of the latest:- but new to me..
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

• Just received this one in the mail:

Can't wait to dive into it!
      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
      _________
      BoRG

Comment

• The Ebb and Flow of Battle by P.J. Campbell

"War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
        -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• A Genius For War - The German Army and General Staff 1807-1945 by Trevor Dupuy

Recently finished The Defense of Jisr al-Doreaa

"When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• The origins of Alliances Stephen Walt

Years of Renewal Henry Kissinger

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Picked these up at the local library:

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• My current reads:
                  Attached Files
                  If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Just finished The Lincoln Lawyer yes Robbie,it was terrific. It really slammed me at the end. Now I got to find The Fifth Witness I think the end of the book said.
                    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire: From the First Century A.D. to the Third by Edward N. Luttwak
                      ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• The Day the Revolution Ended: 19 October 1781 by William Hallahan

"War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                        -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Great book! I'm researching an ancestor who was a veteran of the war, and this is a great aid in finding where the pertinent records are located.
                          ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• I needed a laugh. Jeff Foxworthy's No Shoes,No Shirt-No Problem!
                            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• I just started The Brothers of Gwynedd Quartet by Edith Pargeter..tis about Wales in the 13th century and their fight for freedom from the English and King Edward I
                              "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                              "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Current read

Fighting Patton: George S. Patton Jr. Through the Eyes of His Enemies

I plucked the reviews below from Amazon. I am about 1/4 way thru it. Early life, Mexico (Pancho Villa episode), WW1 and his DSC and wound action story, Between Wars. so far. Interesting facts.
                                RedDagger18

2 Reviews
                                5 star: (2)
                                4 star: (0)
                                3 star: (0)
                                2 star: (0)
                                1 star: (0)

Average Customer Review
                                5.0 out of 5 stars (2 customer reviews)
                                Share your thoughts with other customers
                                Create your own review Search Customer Reviews

Only search this product's reviews

Most Helpful First | Newest First

6 of 7 people found the following review helpful:
                                5.0 out of 5 stars An Original look at Patton, September 11, 2011
                                By R. A Forczyk (MD, USA) - See all my reviews
                                (TOP 500 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME) This review is from: Fighting Patton: George S. Patton Jr. Through the Eyes of His Enemies (Hardcover)
                                Although there have been many books written about General George S. Patton since the mid-1970s, with Carlo D'Este's A Genius for War among the best, much of his life and battlefield career have become enshrouded by a certain popular mythology about him. Much of the Patton story was shaped unfavorably by detractors such as Omar Bradley or favorably by sycophantic aides. Yet despite a robust literature available on Patton, the real Patton remains elusive and there are aspects of his career that have not been delved into in any great detail, particularly how he was regarded by his enemies. In Fighting Patton, military historian Harry Yeide digs deeply into American, French and German primary source material to expose a Patton that few of us have seen before - Patton as viewed by his enemies. There is a wealth of fresh details in this book thanks to the author's diligent research in the National Archives, such as the identity of the German officer who was firing at Patton during the Meuse-Argonne offensive of 1918. While the Patton story normally focuses on American perspectives, Fighting Patton strives to show Patton's operations from the point of view of the men fighting him. This is a very well-researched and argued book that is enhanced by the author's ability to sift a multitude of facts in order to derive sober conclusions. The author's judgments about how Patton was viewed by his opponents will surprise some readers and revise some aspects of Patton mythology, but will also serve as a valuable addition to the literature on one of America's most famous generals of the Twentieth Century.

Fighting Patton consists of 14 sequential chapters with about 420 pages of narrative and a glossary. The author has also included 34 sketch maps and 52 B/W photos. The book is based upon extensive use of primary source research, much of which has not appeared in previous Patton biographies; this is not a rehash nor a biography, but an effort to evaluate Patton through a completely different set of lenses. Fighting Patton may seem revisionist to some readers, particularly those who believe that he loomed large in everyone's consciousness in 1943-45. Yet in fact, as Harry Yeide points out, German records indicate that neither Hitler nor senior German commanders spent much time worrying about Patton than post-war US histories would suggest. German threat assessments were based upon enemy capabilities, not the personalities of specific enemy commanders and few German records mention Patton by name, The German records on Patton that do exist indicate that he was regarded as a capable armor leader and tactician, but not a strategist like Montgomery. A number of German mid-level officers noted that Patton's fumbled campaign in Lorraine reduced their impression of his skills and he was regarded by some as hesitant and unwilling to seize tactical opportunities. As the author also notes, while Patton's skills as an armor leader seem nearly unique on the American side, the Germans had plenty of panzer leaders with significantly more experience than he had and thus, were less impressed.

In the end, the author provides a more balanced appraisal of Patton's battlefield accomplishments, minus the rose-colored glasses. His enemies respected him - when they thought about him - but they were not fixated on him and regarded him primarily as a usually competent tactical commander. Yet by German standards, Patton was far less bold than some of the panzer leaders of 1940-41 fame and even his dash across France in August 1944 pales in comparison to some of the advances made in Russia in 1941. All in all, Fighting Patton is impressively written and researched and an important addition to the literature on Patton.
                                Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
                                Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Report abuse | Permalink
                                Comment Comment

5 of 6 people found the following review helpful:
                                5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Account that cuts through Myth and Exposes Reality!, September 2, 2011
                                By Writing Historian "Mark" (United States) - See all my reviewsThis review is from: Fighting Patton: George S. Patton Jr. Through the Eyes of His Enemies (Hardcover)
                                If you wondered which German unit shot Patton during WW 1 and how his enemies viewed him during World War 2, this is the book for you. Meticulously researched, this book covers Patton's performance against Italian, Vichy French, and German opponents. This book is undoubtedly Yeide's best effort to date, utilizing primary sources and accounts from enemies rather than secondary sources (other publications) mined by numerous authors in the past. Of particular interest is how the German "Eastern Front" generals fared against the U.S. Third Army. There is also a wealth of biographical information on Patton's German opponents which alone makes "Fighting Patton" worth purchasing. Truly a unique book with no equal! Highly recommended! Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
                                Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Report abuse | Permalink
                                Comment Comment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X