This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman
    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• My first book of his. I can't put it down. Unfortunately work and auctions get in the way.

Originally posted by Robbie Lynne View Post
      The Lincoln Lawyer is an excellent book and so is The Poet by Michael Connelly..excellent writer
      This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• I've just started "Eye of the Red Tsar" by Sam Eastland and am about 80 pages into and am really enjoying it.

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Red-Tsar-N...4509456&sr=8-1

Comment

• After America. Gritty and disturbing on many levels.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• The Bible again...

Jab-jab mm...
            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Again. Fascinating stuff, stronlgy recommend.
              ------
              'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

• Alaska by Michener. Just started it and am really looking forward to him painting the picture of its history.
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

• Originally posted by Selous View Post
                  Again. Fascinating stuff, stronlgy recommend.
                  This looks like something I'd really enjoy. I'll have to check it out.
                  "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Comment

• The Impending Crisis 1848-1861 by David M. Potter

Absolutely superb! There's a reason why it received the Pulitzer Prize, it's that good.
                      Last edited by VancePolk; 30 Aug 11, 15:05.
                      "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• Finished Lincoln and The Decision For War: The Northern Response to Secession by Russell McClintock.

Excellent book.
                        "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• I'm currently reading "Shattered Sword" the Battle of Midway from the Japanese perspective. Great book that dispels many of the nyths surrounding the battle.
                          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

• Slotting in nicely between Tooze's Wages of Destruction and John Ellis's Brute Force, it dispells many myths surrounding Britain and its involvement and capabilities in WW2. Buy if you enjoyed Tooze, don't buy if you didn't.

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War by Drew Gilpin Faust and The Rise of Napoleon Bonaparte by Robert Asprey.
                              ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Between trying to figure how my own book is doing, I've been reading Stacey Schiff's study of Cleopatra. I find it educating and useful, but at times a tad too lyrical and 'prosey'. Perhaps I'm just jealous I don't have her way with words. Also, Bob, Lunde's book looks like a really interesting read. Let us know if it does its subject justice.
                                dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X