Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier: The Memoirs of Matthew B. Ridgway.
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
      GREAT novel! How are you enjoying it so far? If you're liking it, finish the series and then read the rest of his alternate history novels...he's a great writer of historical fiction!

-Matt
      SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
        GREAT novel! How are you enjoying it so far? If you're liking it, finish the series and then read the rest of his alternate history novels...he's a great writer of historical fiction!

-Matt
        This is my second time reading the series.

I agree it's very good!

I tried to read some of Forstchen's other stuff and didn't care for it.
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Gingrich has written quite a few other historical fiction novels, including two that deal with the Pacific War (he said it was a series, but only two have come out thus far, sadly).

If you like historical fiction, also try Fox on the Rhine and its sequel Fox at the Front, which deal with the war in Europe from July 1944 onwards.

Best,

-Matt

Comment

• I am Spartacus!

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Finally reading Neptune's Inferno.
              Skip

Comment

• Originally posted by skiplc View Post
                Finally reading Neptune's Inferno.
                Good book!
                "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• T-34 Tank: Istoriya sozdaniya i primeneniya
                  The T-34 Tank: A History of its Development and Use

Comment

• Patrick O'Brian
                    I have started anew on the fantastic "Master and Commander" series by Patrick O'Brian. It's three or four years since I went through it last.

As a boy I collected all the Hornblower books by Forester and I am on the lookout for the DVD of the movie starring Gregory Peck.

While I find that Forester could describe an action in much fewer words than O'Brian the last one's books are really held up by Lucky Jack's ship's physician, mr. Maturin, excellently played by Paul Bettany in the movie.

Hornblowers similar friend would have to be Lt. Bush.

I really hope they shall make another movie of Jack Aubrey's escapades as is rumoured. In the meantime I have to take comfort in his 20 exciting books.
                    Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
                    River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

Comment

• Just got a Kobo and I laoded up some free books from my reading lists.

AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• A Dance To The Music of Time by Anthony Powell - just finished it. An acquired taste.

http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Music-Ti.../dp/0226677141

excerpt from Amazon....traces events in the lives of a number of characters from Britain's upper classes and bohemia, following them from adolescence in the 1920s to senescence in the 1970s.The novels focus on social behavior; all characters are dealt with objectively, as they would wish to appear to outside observers. Personality and motivation are revealed through minute and subtle analysis of disconnected incidents. Nicholas Jenkins, a nonparticipant who is secure in his own values, narrates much of the action of people obsessed with power, style, creativity, and public image.
                        I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• About a quarter of the way through it - quite good so far.
                          HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                            Reading it myself at mo, good so far.
                            Cymru am Byth

Comment

• Finishing up Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Jonathan Parshall & Anthony Tully. If you're a Pacific War or Battle of Midway guy like I am, read this book...it will change your entire outlook on the battle.

-Matt

Comment

• Excellent book!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X