Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've just started reading The Fort by Bernard Cornwell. Great pager turner. Luckilly, the long weekend just started here in Canada

...And I now have something to read instead of listening/ reading/watching all the media attention about Will & Kate visiting Canada for the next few days!!!!

Comment

• Finally! I've begun reading Triumph Forsaken: The Vietnam War, 1954-1965 by Mark Moyar.
      ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• I have already read it. I read it in 2 1/2 days. It is excellent.

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
        I've just started reading The Fort by Bernard Cornwell. Great pager turner. Luckilly, the long weekend just started here in Canada

...And I now have something to read instead of listening/ reading/watching all the media attention about Will & Kate visiting Canada for the next few days!!!!
        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• I just finished reading "Isabella and the Strange Death of Edward II" by Paul Doherty and found it to be a pretty good read but I still like Alison Weir's book about Isabella and The Greatest Traitor by Ian Mortimer..
          "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
          "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by kurt tank 152 View Post
            my current reading are "the bloody road to death", sven hassel my favorite author. must find "ss general" and "marchbattalion"
            I read and re read the copies of my Sven Hassel books until they fell apart. Ok, so they can be classed as pulp but they are easy to read and VERY funny in parts (eg 'The Fleas' in The Bloody Road To Death).
            HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• About half way through it, very good so far.
              HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• The Wrong War-Bing West. Best book about Afgh i've seen yet.
                "The first time those bastards encounter US Marines, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable lives."
                -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

• Just finished "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson.

The book is about William Dodd and his family living in Berlin during Hitler's rise to absolute power. Dodd was the American Ambassador, and moved to Berlin in 1933.

Dodd seemed to grasp what was going on and predicted exactly what was going to happen, but the State Department didn't seem to take him seriously.

Here's a prophetic excerpt.
                  There were attacks on Americans during this time that I didn't know about. Dodd went to meet with Foreign Minister Neurath in 1933 to discuss them. From the book page 130.

"Dodd rose to leave. He turned to Neurath. 'Shall we have a war?" he asked.
                  Again Neurath flushed: 'Never!'
                  At the door, Dodd said, 'You must realize that Germany would be ruined by another war.'"

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Beasts-...0018189&sr=8-1

Comment

• Comment

• Just started "Kidnap City" by Arthur Smith about many kidnappings taking place in Berlin after WWII. Just read the first 2 chapters. The author indicated that some information he was trying to obtain was still classified.

http://www.amazon.com/Kidnap-City-Be...ntt_at_ep_dpt_

Comment

• Comment

• I'm currently rereading one of the best WWII books ever written: Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully.

-Matt
                          SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• The Day After Roswell by Col. Philip Corso (Ret).

If you can get past the whole "aliens crashed in 1947" thing, the book (or parts of it) is an interesting take on the Roswell mythos. Corso claims to have been a key player in farming out alien equipment recovered from the Roswell crash to private industry to allow them to reverse engineer the tech and take credit for its "development".

What I am finding particularly interesting is the picture he paints of inter-service rivalry and the lack of trust between the Army and the CIA, related to the release of secrets to the Soviets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                              I've just started reading The Fort by Bernard Cornwell. Great pager turner. Luckilly, the long weekend just started here in Canada

What did you think of it? I read it a few months back and I didn't think it was his best work. The Saxon Chronicles are much better, to my way of thinking anyway.

Comment

• "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X