Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A Historyof Britain", by Simon Schama.

Comment

• Originally posted by llkinak View Post
      "A Historyof Britain", by Simon Schama.
      I read vol. 2 (1603-1775) and thoroughly enjoyed it. He has a good knack for taking convoluted story lines about families, nobles, etc. and keeping them from overtaking the main line.

Haven't read the other volumes yet - I don't know if anyone could make the War of the Roses comprehensible to a Yank. But Schama could if anyone.
      "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
      -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

• My cousin sent me a book,cause I love anything on George Rogers Clark,Lewis and Clark and Early America,this is called The Ohio by R.E. Banta I'd say before there was an America in this book. The Ohio was claimed by many nations and people.

About the early times on the Ohio River. Terrific read.

Its an older book,from 1949,gotten from an estate sale. Pretty good shape too. This is the cover mine has,but mine isn't torn.
        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Jordan View Post
          I read vol. 2 (1603-1775) and thoroughly enjoyed it. He has a good knack for taking convoluted story lines about families, nobles, etc. and keeping them from overtaking the main line.

Haven't read the other volumes yet - I don't know if anyone could make the War of the Roses comprehensible to a Yank. But Schama could if anyone.
          Well, so far volume one up to when yours takes off has been great. I wish I had read it before I visited the UK last October.

Comment

• Recently read Anchee Min's Empress Orchid, which I enjoyed, and Colin Thubron's Shadow of the Silk Road, whose lyrical descriptions fascinated me. Currently re-reading Arturo Perez-Reverte's El Caballero del Jubon Amarillo for a pleasant escape, with occasional stops to plow through a paragraph or two of Truong Duong's Doi Chien Binh (Life and Times of a Combatant), an ARVN paratroop officer's view of the Vietnam War.
            dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

• Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
              My cousin sent me a book,cause I love anything on George Rogers Clark,Lewis and Clark and Early America,this is called The Ohio by R.E. Banta I'd say before there was an America in this book. The Ohio was claimed by many nations and people.

About the early times on the Ohio River. Terrific read.

Its an older book,from 1949,gotten from an estate sale. Pretty good shape too. This is the cover mine has,but mine isn't torn.
              Hey reb have you read Long Knife by Jame Thom Alexander? Really good novel on George Rogers Clark.
              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• No,I hadn't heard of it til now. But I plan on getting it. Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                  Hey reb have you read Long Knife by Jame Thom Alexander? Really good novel on George Rogers Clark.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                    I have this book,and its companion book. I have the VHS but not the DVD. I love it. When I had knee surgery,and was laid up,it gave me something to do. A good read.

Comment

• Beyond Chutzpah....
                      ....by Norman G. Finkelstein - on the misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History.

I am not sure if I can finish this book. It is so depressing.
                      Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
                      River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

Comment

• Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                        I have this book,and its companion book. I have the VHS but not the DVD. I love it. When I had knee surgery,and was laid up,it gave me something to do. A good read.
                        Is the companion book Gods and Generals? I'm wondering what that one is like.
                        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
                          Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                          No,I hadn't heard of it til now. But I plan on getting it. Thanks for the tip.
                          Oopsie. I got the author's name mixed up. It is actually James Alexander Thom. He also wrote another novel on the Clark family called From Sea to Shining Sea. Also recommended.
                          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• No,that is a different book entirely. This is a companion book to The Killer Angels.

Originally posted by Duncan View Post

Comment

• Rewrote my index card. Thanks for the tips. I usually buy books like that instead of hitting the library. I prefer to have those in my collection. IF I can get them.

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                              Oopsie. I got the author's name mixed up. It is actually James Alexander Thom. He also wrote another novel on the Clark family called From Sea to Shining Sea. Also recommended.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                                The book The movie in my most humble opinion.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X