• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Venetian Betrayal-Steve Berry

Child 44-Tom Rob Smith

I,Mona Lisa-Jeanne Kalogridis

Pilate's Wife-Antoinette May

As you can see,my favourite type of books are historical fictions.I particularly like fictions set in Classical Greece,Early Christianity,Rennaisance Italy and war-fiction.
    Alcibiades
    Nothing is impossible to him who will try- Alexander the Great

Comment

• Still working on Crucible of War; that book is a door stopper, but I have less than 100 pages left. Once I'm finished I'm going to begin Those Damned Rebels: The American Revolution As Seen Through British Eyes, Combat Operations: Stemming the Tide, May 1965 to October 1966, and presumably The Clausewitz Delusion: How the American Army Screwed Up the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (A Way Forward) in conjunction with Strategy, by B. H. Liddell Hart.
      ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• A very fascinating book:

Comment

• Currently reading R. C. Morris' "The Ether Zone", Keith Weller Taylor's "The Birth of Vietnam", and a new translation of Pasternak's "Doctor Zhivago". And, I still have to finish up Steven King's "On Writing", and finish editing the finals on my own novel.
          dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

• New "Guns of the Civil War" book

I'm reading Dennis Adler's "Guns of the Civil War." Absolutely amazing book.

At first glance, one might think this book is just a big illustrated guide to the firearms used throughout the war (which it is), but Adler also ties in the firearms to the history of the conflict. The result is a much broader take on the topic than you'd think.

I can't suggest this book enough!

--Dusty

Comment

• Another very interesting book. I am astonished to see that this one has been remaindered and can be had cheap, because it is a really good read thus far.

Comment

• Just like his TV show, this is all over the place and hard to follow if your brain follows a logical thought process. This is my second attempt to read it, and it's coming together now.
                Barcsi Jnos ispn vezrőrnagy
                Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                http://www.mormon.org
                http://www.sca.org
                http://www.scv.org/
                http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

• The Bear and the Dragon:

This is a book that follows the life of Tom clancy's Jack Ryan. This is a great book, but you probably need to read the older ones before you start on this book

Comment

• Originally posted by janos View Post

just like his tv show, this is all over the place and hard to follow if your brain follows a logical thought process. This is my second attempt to read it, and it's coming together now.
                    shhhhhhh!!! Shh!!!!! Put your flame shield on now!!!
                    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hvaml

Comment

• "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                        That is a really great one!
                        "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
                        -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

• The Winning Weapon: The Atomic Bomb in the Cold War 1945 - 1950

Just finished reading, "The Winning Weapon: The Atomic Bomb in the Cold War 1945 - 1950" by Gregg Herken, copyright 1980.

I found it to be an interesting book, although rather depressing, in the sense it seems difficult in hindsight to see how a world without an arms race could have developed. I found interesting that the US kind of fell into its reliance on the A-bomb, after things heated up with the Soviets. They for example flew "atomic-capable" B-29's to England during the Berlin Crisis in 1948, which helped lead to the policy of deterrence.

At least as presented in the book, perhaps the biggest thing the US can be faulted for, is relying on General Groves' estimates that the USSR would not develop atomic weapons and/or be in a position to threaten the US with atomic attack for about 20 years, given the difficulty building a bomb and obtaining supplies of uranium (which they apparently did in fact mine in East Germany). The US made many other questionable assumptions in the beginning, including that atomic weapons would automatically be used by the US in a war, and that any use of A-bombs by the US would immediately cause the other side (the USSR at the point) to surrender.

Comment

• Martin Middlebrook: Arnhem 1944, The Airborne Battle

Robert Kershaw: It Never Snows in September

Both must reads on Arnhem and Market-Garden.

Comment

• Originally posted by lirelou View Post
                              Currently reading R. C. Morris' "The Ether Zone"
                              What do you think of this one Shaun? its the book about Project DELTA right?

Comment

• I'm currently reading: Passing of the Armies-Chamberlain

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X