Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Road to Berlin" by John Erickson and "Inside the Third Reich" by Albert Speer

I like the classics
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by PaxPhoenix View Post
        Granted this is a history forum but does anyone read any fiction?????
        Yes. For fun I mostly read fiction. Too much business and news reading makes me feel like my "personal" reading time should be fun rather than educational.

Of course, I read a lot of historical and specualtive fiction. So, it's semi-educational...

Now reading this:

Part of an Alternate History/Sci Fi take on the 30 Years War. (What?)
        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
        _________
        BoRG

Comment

Granted this is a history forum but does anyone read any fiction?????
          Ummm, I read historical fiction, does that count?

But seriously, I do try to read a few fiction books now and again. Recently read the entire Harry Potter series...missed that boat (or train rather...if you get the joke) the first time around when the rest of my generation read them.

Alex

Comment

• ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander View Post
              Ummm, I read historical fiction, does that count?

But seriously, I do try to read a few fiction books now and again. Recently read the entire Harry Potter series...missed that boat (or train rather...if you get the joke) the first time around when the rest of my generation read them.

Alex
              Did you miss the platform 9 3/4 ?

I enjoy reading James Patterson. He is not history by any means but is a good read. Some time I want to read the Sharpe's series by Bernard Cornwell. I really enjoyed the TV series that was on BBC a while back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post

Well, since the Chicago Public library is run just like the rest of Chicago, I now have an enormous amount of reading ahead of me. I had been waiting on The Russian Way of War, along with Fred Anderson's Crucible of War, since before Christmas, when I actually put them on hold at the library. They finally arrived on monday. I also requested Shelby Stanton's Rise and Fall of an American Army: U.S. Ground Forces in Vietnam, 1965-1973, which instead of two months, took only three days to arrive. So now I'm stuck with three books! Ugh, I think I'm going to start with Stanton.
                ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Yes I did. Got my letter from Hogwarts just a bit late...but I finally made it.

Alex

Comment

I enjoy reading James Patterson. He is not history by any means but is a good read. Some time I want to read the Sharpe's series by Bernard Cornwell. I really enjoyed the TV series that was on BBC a while back.
                    Pax, I love James Patterson also and John Sanford..his Prey series are excellent
                    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                    "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie Lynne View Post
                      Pax, I love James Patterson also and John Sanford..his Prey series are excellent
                      I am not familar with Sanford. What are some of his titles?

Does anyone read Jean Auel?

Comment

I am not familar with Sanford. What are some of his titles?

Does anyone read Jean Auel?
                        He writes about a detective named Lucas Davenport from the Twin Cities and some of the titles are Hidden Prey, Mind Prey,,etc..all of them end in Prey and they are actually very good especially if you like Patterson..
                        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie Lynne View Post
                          He writes about a detective named Lucas Davenport from the Twin Cities and some of the titles are Hidden Prey, Mind Prey,,etc..all of them end in Prey and they are actually very good especially if you like Patterson..
                          I have to give them a try. Thanks! I'm always in the market for a good book.
                          At one time I read alot of Lawrence Sanders.

How about Science Fiction? Anyone a fan?

Comment

I have to give them a try. Thanks! I'm always in the market for a good book.
                            At one time I read alot of Lawrence Sanders.

How about Science Fiction? Anyone a fan?
                            Yep, I'm a big Sci-Fi fan. Usually short stories these days because I don't have time to start any good novels.
                            History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                            _________
                            BoRG

Comment

• Follow Me and Die

Just Read "Follow Me and Die: The Destruction of an American Division in World War II" by Cecil B. Currey, published in 1984. About the Huertgen Forest Campaign. Found it to be a good book.

I bought it at the used book store for $3.98, where people bring in their old books for nothing. I happened to look up Cecil B. Currey to see what his background is, and came up across the book being offered for sale at $48, $30, etc. This confirms to me what I had already figured out, that they make their money by trying to siphon off the books with some value and selling them on-line. This is based upon hearing the workers talk there about not having gone through their books, not letting people go through the old books, the clerk at the register saying something like, 'that's a good find, etc.

Of course, it's probably not easy to figure out what a book is worth. Probably in this case it was not a huge press run, but the Huertgen Forest campaign has probably drawn interest the last decade or so as we have been bogged down in Southwest Asia.

Comment

• The Last Stand - Custer, Sitting Bull and the Battle Of The Little Big Horn.

Very good so far.
                                HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X