Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I got The face of Battle, by John Keegan, for 4€. I'm starting reading it, right away.
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap. Teancum
      Today I got The face of Battle, by John Keegan, for 4€. I'm starting reading it, right away.
      Great price for a great book!

One of my all time favorites.

I was going to post the book I started reading tonight but that might give you too good a lead in the Name that Battle Quiz!
      http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• O.K. fair enough.
        All warfare is based on deception.
        Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• I am Reading Lieutenant General James Longstreet's Memoirs. Next Patton the Man And then the Maxim's of Napolean
          Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
          I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by Patton 7079
            I am Reading Lieutenant General James Longstreet's Memoirs. Next Patton the Man And then the Maxim's of Napolean
            Was Maxim around in Napoleon's time? Didn't he just have nudy French playing cards?
            AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• I am reading our very own JD Morelock's book called: The Army Times book of, Great land battles: From the Civil war to the Gulf war.

ISBN: 0-425-16531-0

What can I say, an ex Colonel of Vietnam experience, Mr Morelock, has 'gone straight for the juicy bit's', as I put it, meaning he describes the battles of many great wars from the Civil war to the Gulf war.

I enjoyed greatly to be able for a change to just get into the thrilling yet intellectual analysis of some of the more famous, and some less famous (at least to an European that is) Battles without any padding, or filler if you know what I mean.

A good reader, and informative. Written by somebody already with knowledge of higher command and it's complexities, and yet fresh.
              With writing which is accessible yet meaningful.

A very good military history book indeed!
              And I can't get my mind arround that this is the same JD Morelock who frequents our forums every now and again!

Good on you JD!

A good read, I highly recommend it.

P.S.
              After re-reading the book some, I came to the conclusion that I must add that it is a most intellectual, work, and is a boon for both beginners and scholars alike. Morelock should be there (or is he???), among the great one's, Ambrose, Keegan, Beevor, Hastings, Ryan, Gibbon, Middlebrook, Erickson, Diamond and a fiew others who I cannot recollect right now off hand!

A very good writer indeed! Top marks!

I will defenately look out for his other books...

Mr Poundr.
              Last edited by 17poundr; 07 Aug 05, 00:11.
              "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Just finished "The Secret History of the Iraq War" by Yossef Bodansky director of the ISSA and editor of Defense and Foreign Affairs.

Good comprehensive coverage of GW 2 and how America and the present administration has failed understand Islam.

What is it they say" Those who fail to understand history are doomed to repeat it"

per ardua ad astra

Comment

• I am reading The Pacific War by John Costello. It's a good overall book on the pacific war but doesn't go into great detail.

Comment

• I just finished "In the Company of Soldiers" by Rick Atkinson.
                    Should be titled "In the Company of The Brass."
                    Okay for a big picture perspective of the 101st Airborne in Iraq, but not a good one if your looking for the perspective of the soldier doing the fighting.

Don

Comment

• Harold Coyle "Against All Enemies"

Comment

• I'm currently reading "What Stailn Knew: The Enigma Of Barbarossa" by David E. Murphy

Jeff

Comment

• I just started a double whammy of US soldiers with co***es of steel.

First the classic 'Black hawk down', by: Mark Bowden, complements the film and gives a far better picture of the action.
                          So, if you thought the film was intence, wait until you read this book!

Secondly 'Death in the A Shau valley' ( L company LRRPs in Vietnam 1969-70). By: Larry Chambers

A very good book on the (nominal) Rangers of the 101st Divisons LRRPs operating mostly in the A Shau valley, daring six man teams, who along with their helicopter infil/exfil teams, and the sar flyers just do amazing things, defying death on many an occasion, and some meeting it inevitably.

I found the writing had a familiarity with Bravo two zero, I guess when you are on that level the need for bravado in the writing is non existent, an exellent read!

(Although, I thought I would be reading about SOG missions when I ordered the book from Amazon, I do not regret it one bit at all)!
                          "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Just finished Michael Howard's The Invention of Peace and the Reinvention of War. As master of the short book, Howard sums three hundred years of nation-states work towards peace, and after finishing the book, he tacked on the reinvention of war piece in response to 9/11. Well worth the read for the context of our times.
                            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• I'm re-reading Ripcord - Screaming Eagles Under Siege - Vietnam 1970 by Keith W. Nolan. If you're looking for a book describing in details how the war was fought, especially in the latter stage, this one is a must read.

Comment

• Britains Forgotten Wars

I'm reading Britains Forgotten Wars by Ian Hernon.

A collection of 3 of his books which cover the 'small' wars many of which I had never heard of, or only seen small mentions of on memorials or in other media.

Very interesting insight into the victorian collonialism and height of the empire and some amazing tales of individual courage.

Suffers for a lack of maps but still an excellent book.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X