X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capt AFB
    replied
    Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
    I'm reading it again and every time I read it I sit open-mouthed at the sheer bad planning by the brass, as inserting an 8-man SAS patrol by Chinook into the middle of Iraq on foot was never going to work.
    1 escaped, 4 were captured and 1 was killed
    2 others died of hypothermia because nobody thought to issue the squad with sleeping bags or even survival blankets..duh..
    There are a number of books written about the SAS involvement in Gulf War I, and, at least,three books about Bravo Two Zero. (IIRC, the books are: Bravo Two Zero, The One That Got Away, The Real Story Behind Bravo Two Zero.)

SAS patrols pretty much plan for their own mission, including how they want to be inserted (depending on available assets) and travel method once on the ground.

The decision to walk to their target area was the patrol's decision, unlike other patrols, which decided to use Pink Panther jeeps or other vehicle to move around once on the ground...I recall the SAS leadership questionning the patrol about not using a vehicle (they were available) but McNab and his patrol made a case for not needing one...So blaming the brass for bad planning here does not stand.

As for warmer clothing, again, its a decision by the patrol members what to carry...It is not like SAS members are raw recruits going on their first patrol...And if I recall correctly, they lost their Bergen bags after dropping them during a heavy contact with the Iraqi Army, which may explain why nobody had a extra layer of clothes or sleeping bag when they were escaping Westward towards Syria.
    Last edited by Capt AFB; 02 Apr 18, 08:10.

Leave a comment:

• Poor Old Spike
    replied
    Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab

I'm reading it again and every time I read it I sit open-mouthed at the sheer bad planning by the brass, as inserting an 8-man SAS patrol by Chinook into the middle of Iraq on foot was never going to work.
    1 escaped, 4 were captured and 1 was killed
    2 others died of hypothermia because nobody thought to issue the squad with sleeping bags or even survival blankets..duh..

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by Legate View Post
    Sherman had a different view of glory

Its glory is all moonshine. Even success, the most brilliant is over dead and mangled bodies [] It is only those who have not heard a shot, nor heard the shrills & groans of the wounded & lacerated (friend or foe) that cry aloud for more blood & more vengeance, more desolation

Letter to James E. Yeatman (May 1865)

Leave a comment:

• Legate
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SmackUm
    replied
    Masters of Empire

Masters of Empire (Great Lakes Indians & the Making of America) by Michael McDonnell. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ters-of-empire
    A history of Fort Michilimackinac and the relationship of the Anishinnabeg with European trading nations in the Great Lakes Region.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X