X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm originallly reading this:

Comment

• Just starting Edwin Bearss' and Parker Hills' recent book Receding Tide about the twin Union victories of Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
      I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

• Six Armies in Normandy by John Keegan.
        ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons from A Delta Force Commander by Pete Blaber.
          "Conquer Yourself." -Vladimir Salnikov, 1500m Olympic Swimming Champion, 1988 Seoul Olympic Games.

Comment

• To War with Wellington by Peter Snow
            The Japanese Art of War by Thomas Cleary
            Liberalism Proper and Proper Liberalism by Gottfried Dietze
            plus about 15 books for Uni
            The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.
            Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

• The Intimate Lives of the Founding Fathers

Comment

• "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" a History of Nazi Germany by William L. Shirer...
                "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• The Crusades by Zoe Oldenburg
                  "They are not missing they are here" General Plumer at the inauguration of the Menin gate in Ypres

Comment

• The Junior Officers Reading Club by Patrick Hennessey and Day of Infamy by Walter Lord

Comment

• Essence of Decision: Explaining the Cuban Missile Crisis (2nd Edition) by Graham Allison and Philip Zelikow

Highly recommended for anyone who wants to know how large organizations tick.

Comment

• http://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Modern.../dp/0521893798
                        "They're inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"
                        -Baron Munchausen

"Ah, 'tis midsummer madness, the music is my temples, the hot blood of youth! Come, Kapellmeister, let the violas throb. My regiment leaves at dawn!"
                        -Groucho Marx

Comment

• Alexander the Great, by Philip Freeman. Good so far.

Alex

Comment

• Anyone read "The Virtues of War"? or any of those books?
                            "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Granted this is a history forum but does anyone read any fiction?????

Comment

• Originally posted by PaxPhoenix View Post
                                Granted this is a history forum but does anyone read any fiction?????
                                Of course!! Feel to let us know what you are reading. Ya never know you might be reading something that'll spark interest.
                                If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Working...
                                X