This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VinceW View Post
    I finished "Apache Dawn" and it is awesome! It's about a British Army Pilot's 100 day tour of Afghanistan in 2007 it's more dangerous for those guys than one may think the Taliban have shoulder launched SAM's and some ZSU-23's along with the RPG's and small arms fire,definately read it if you can.
    Yeah that sounds interesting! I remember hearing about how in a few engagements, an Apache would start coming, and the bad guys would just put their hands up!
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• If you want a no nonsense straightforward factual account of the highs and lows of the British army in WW2 you will not do much better than this volume, and available at a very reasonable price eg here.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• I just flipped through the first 25 pages of "1001 Events That Made America" reluctant to put it down! It's a great little book that introduces a certain date and year and a short paragraph of explanation. Definitely recommended.
        "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Iron coffins

Comment

• submarine theme as well
            Hashimoto, Mochitsura. Sunk: The Story of the Japanese Submarine Fleet 1941 – 1945
            "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

• Originally posted by dmf01 View Post
              submarine theme as well
              Hashimoto, Mochitsura. Sunk: The Story of the Japanese Submarine Fleet 1941 – 1945
              Привет dmf01! We joined this forum at about the same time. Hope you enjoy it as I do. Now that you mentioned the above noted submarine book, I also enjoyed "Das Boot" which you have listed in your favourite movies. This was one of the best I've seen. До свидания !
              BM
              A happy life is a happy wife.

Comment

• The Great Hunger: Ireland:1845-1849 by Cecil Woodham Smith. published 1962
                As one of the reviewers on Amazon says, 'if you read one book on famine, read this one.' Having skirted the subject within other history books, I finally read this dedicated to the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Hunger-I.../dp/014014515X
                I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• "The Third Reich A New History" by Michael Burleigh...I am about half way through it and it is a fascinating read so far
                  "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                  "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by robbielynne View Post
                    "The Third Reich A New History" by Michael Burleigh...I am about half way through it and it is a fascinating read so far
                    Is this a new book with new facts, published recently?
                    BM
                    A happy life is a happy wife.

Comment

• Just finished Attack State Red by Richard Kemp.

Moving on to SAS Sniper.
                      David,
                      www.wardepot.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunker Man View Post
                        Is this a new book with new facts, published recently?
                        BM
                        It was actually published in 2000 and it gives an in depth account of the beginnings of the Third Reich..I just found it in the local library a few days ago and picked it up..
                        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunker Man View Post
                          Привет dmf01! We joined this forum at about the same time. Hope you enjoy it as I do. Now that you mentioned the above noted submarine book, I also enjoyed "Das Boot" which you have listed in your favourite movies. This was one of the best I've seen. До свидания !
                          BM
                          Thank you Bunker Man for your kind words! Or would it be better to say merci beaucoups? Anyway I'm very pleased to hear from you.
                          Regards & best of luck
                          dmf01
                          "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

• This book is about the atrocities committed under Hitler and Stalin in the lands between Berlin and Moscow from 1933 to 1945.

Comment

• Over the weekend I read Bing West's book The Village.

"When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• Just finishing Dave Powell's new Failure In The Saddle. It's a great read about how the Confederate cavalry failed Bragg during the Chickamauga operations. Besides the standard maps, Confederate cavalry OBs, mini-bios of the dramatis personae, it contains driving directions and pictures of important stops in the campaign, Col Alfred Roman's (Confederate Assistant Inspector General) assessment of Wheeler's command (after the march to the sea, in response to Georgia civilians' complaints about the depredations they caused) and an examination of the Bragg-Forrest brush-up after Chickamauga.
                                I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X