This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John le Carre - The Secret Pilgrim.
    I'm slowly making my way through all of the le carre novels and none have let me down yet!

Comment

• When Titans Clashed. I think Tooze might have to wait till the summer, but I really want to get into it.
      A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

• ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
          Grant Takes Command by Bruce Catton
          That looks like a good book. When was it published ? BM
          A happy life is a happy wife.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunker Man View Post
            That looks like a good book. When was it published ? BM
            I believe in 1969. I have heard good things about Catton, but I've never got around to reading his works. I was actually given this as a Christmas present, so I though I'd jump into it now. So far, it's a very compelling read. It is the third of a three volume work on Grant's leadership in the American Civil War.
            ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
              I believe in 1969. I have heard good things about Catton, but I've never got around to reading his works. I was actually given this as a Christmas present, so I though I'd jump into it now. So far, it's a very compelling read. It is the third of a three volume work on Grant's leadership in the American Civil War.
              Last November I bought the book "Team of Rivals". It was #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list. Written by Doris Kearns Woodwin. Published by Simon & Schuster.
              It's about "the political genius of Abraham Lincoln" and his dealings with members of his administration. I haven't read it yet but I know there is a lot of information about the relationship between Grant and Lincoln. (757 pages not including notes) It's on my long list of books to read. BM
              A happy life is a happy wife.

Comment

• Just finished "A Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway. I loved all the descriptions of the futility of WWI, but it is without doubt the most depressing book ever written in the history of literature...yet hauntingly beautiful at the same time.
                Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

• Originally posted by Legatus Augusti View Post
                  Just finished "A Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway. I loved all the descriptions of the futility of WWI, but it is without doubt the most depressing book ever written in the history of literature...yet hauntingly beautiful at the same time.
                  Indeed. Hemingway is so hard to read for me. I was an English major in college, and you have to read and analyze so much of his stuff... and it's soooo depressing.

Made Melville seem like flowers in springtime by comparison.
                  History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                  _________
                  BoRG

Comment

• "Apache Dawn" it's about a British Apache Squadron in Afghanistan in 2007 and so far 1/4 through it's really exciting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
                      Indeed. Hemingway is so hard to read for me. I was an English major in college, and you have to read and analyze so much of his stuff... and it's soooo depressing.

Made Melville seem like flowers in springtime by comparison.
                      It certainly contains that element, but I also find something innately powerful about his writing.
                      Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

• Just started Storm of Steel by Enrst Junger.
                        Last edited by VancePolk; 18 Jan 11, 16:14.
                        "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• Attack State Red by Col Richard Kemp

and

Moment of Truth In Iraq by Michael Yon
                          David,
                          www.wardepot.blogspot.com

Comment

• On killing by lt. Col. Dave grossmsn

Not a good day to die

The bear went over the mountain.
                            "The first time those bastards encounter US Marines, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable lives."
                            -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

• Originally posted by VinceW View Post
                              "Apache Dawn"
                              At first I thought it said "'Apache Down'" and I was going to say hmm......sounds like it would be, but I see it's Apache Dawn-might be something I'm interested in, what's it about?

Which reminds me-I should reread "Return With Honor", about Captain Scott O'Grady who went down over Bosnia/Serbia (forgot which) in 1996, which is what Behind Enemy Lines is loosely based off of.
                              "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
                                At first I thought it said "'Apache Down'" and I was going to say hmm......sounds like it would be, but I see it's Apache Dawn-might be something I'm interested in, what's it about?

Which reminds me-I should reread "Return With Honor", about Captain Scott O'Grady who went down over Bosnia/Serbia (forgot which) in 1996, which is what Behind Enemy Lines is loosely based off of.
                                I finished "Apache Dawn" and it is awesome! It's about a British Army Pilot's 100 day tour of Afghanistan in 2007 it's more dangerous for those guys than one may think the Taliban have shoulder launched SAM's and some ZSU-23's along with the RPG's and small arms fire,definately read it if you can.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X