Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished Sowell's book. What a great book. First book in many years that I really, honestly could not put down. Read it in a few days...usually takes me weeks to read a book that size.

Now I'm reading
    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
    http://www.mormon.org
    http://www.sca.org
    http://www.scv.org/
    http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

• I'm reading an history of italian secret services...
      A ME LE GUARDIE
      "Di noi tremň la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

• Guilty Until Proven Innocent

A detailed retelling of the events surrounding the murder of Barabara Gibbons and the conviction and subsequent exoneration of her son, Peter Reilly, for her murder on September 28, 1973 in Falls Village, CT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Maddox View Post
          The Bear and the Dragon, Tom Clancy.
          Just went to Barnes and Noble and got Red Storm Rising and Splinter Cell.

From B&N:

-Red Storm Rising -Tom Clancy
          -Splinter Cell -Tom Clancy
          -Sniper -don't remember author
          -1001 Events that Shaped America -?
          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Originally posted by Janos View Post
            Now I'm reading
            My Mom just recently finished that very same book. I myself am currently reading Heartbreak & Triumph: The Shawn Michaels Story by now-retired WWE Superstar Shawn Michaels.

-Matt
            SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                I would be interested to hear what you think when you finish.
                Much better than his other book, "The Duel", in my opinion. But not as good as "Munich 1938", which was the book that got me interested in these early WWII micro event books in the first place. I just found the detail level of Munich 1938 to be incredible, and I guess I expected as much detail from this one. While it didn't deliver the same amount of detail, it delivered enough and I was glad I read it.

Comment

• Currently reading this:

Like all of Wolfe's novels, hard to describe or quantify. Excellent story and interesting characters. Not everyone gets him. This is pulp fiction for history nerds. Part sci-fi, part horror, part historical fiction, part detective novel, part romance, pure psychological joy.

An interesting review (just the start, no spoiler here)

An Evil Guest by Gene Wolfe

Reviewed by Adam Roberts

13 October 2008

I've now read this novel twice and I'm still not entirely sure what exactly is going on, or whether it's any good or not. Since reviews are largely in the business of giving readers a sense of what a novel is about and whether it is any good, this may prove problematic.

I don't want to overstate matters; on one level Wolfe's new novel is perfectly comprehensible. It's a sort of future-as-1930s-America soldering together of pulpy noir and Lovecraftian horror dusted lightly with some of the props of Golden Age science fiction. The main character is Cassie Casey, a not-very-successful actress in what reads very like Damon Runyon's Depression-era Broadway. There are two other important characters: Gideon Chase, who is a sort of wizard-cum-private investigator, and Bill Reis, a billionaire supervillain (or ... is he?). The U.S. government does not trust Reis, who has returned from the distant alien world of Woldercan having picked up from aliens there the ability to turn base metal into gold (though lethally radioactive gold, which seems to me of limited usefulness) and possibly the ability to shapeshift, either downwards from humans into wolves, or else upwards from humans into ... well, that's more ambiguous.

I always recommend Wolfe. Name your genre, he's written in it.
                  History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                  _________
                  BoRG

Comment

• ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post

how is this book Ryan? I am a huge fan of his book about Roger Mortimer who was one of only 2 or 3 men to ever escape the Tower of London, flees to France, hooks up w/ Isabella the Queen of England, invades and overthrows Edward II...let me know how you like this one....
                      "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                      "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by robbielynne View Post
                        how is this book Ryan? I am a huge fan of his book about Roger Mortimer who was one of only 2 or 3 men to ever escape the Tower of London, flees to France, hooks up w/ Isabella the Queen of England, invades and overthrows Edward II...let me know how you like this one....
                        It's interesting so far. The narrative structure of the book created from facts is interesting, but I always worry that books like this will turn out like another Dutch, the Reagan biography, which I didn't particularly like. So far, so good though; I'll let you know my thoughts at the conclusion. Medieval history is not my strong suit, so when the Shelfari group voted on this for the quarterly read, I thought why not.
                        ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
                          It's interesting so far. The narrative structure of the book created from facts is interesting, but I always worry that books like this will turn out like another Dutch, the Reagan biography, which I didn't particularly like. So far, so good though; I'll let you know my thoughts at the conclusion. Medieval history is not my strong suit, so when the Shelfari group voted on this for the quarterly read, I thought why not.
                          Let me know..Medieval history is actually my favorite time period and then WWII and some of the ancient era...Have u by chance read "Band Of Brothers" by Stephen E. Ambrose? I am about to start it..
                          "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                          "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by robbielynne View Post
                            Let me know..Medieval history is actually my favorite time period and then WWII and some of the ancient era...Have u by chance read "Band Of Brothers" by Stephen E. Ambrose? I am about to start it..
                            Ha, yes. You have no idea how many times. I was one of those few military nerds that read the book before the miniseries. Likewise with With The Old Breed, which by the way, if you haven't read, is the definitive account of the infantryman's war in the pacific, in my not so humble opinion. I remember literally not being able to put either down, barely keeping my eyes open, but I was so enthralled. At the end of Sledge's book, I really do remember thinking to myself, "How is this not a movie yet?"; little did I know.

But yes, BOB is a stunning read. I have owned a copy for as long as I can remember.
                            ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• currently reading

currently reading my college book on how to deal with principles of terrorism by johnthan wright.

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
                                Just went to Barnes and Noble and got Red Storm Rising and Splinter Cell.

From B&N:

-Red Storm Rising -Tom Clancy
                                -Splinter Cell -Tom Clancy
                                -Sniper -don't remember author
                                -1001 Events that Shaped America -?
                                you will like the splinter cell if you liked the game other one that is a good one was ghost recon, hawx all really good choices

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X