Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• I didn't like "The Dual" by the same author that much, but this book got good reviews at Amazon and the topic is one that I am very interested in, so I am giving it a try. So far, after chapter one, it is better than the dual.

Comment

• The Savage Wars of Peace by Max Boot.
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Half way thru William Gibson's latest. I'm enjoying this one more on a character interaction level than any of his other works. But he's not going to get any new fans with these books. You have to read his entire catalog to get most of the references.

ZERO HISTORY by William Gibson
          History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
          _________
          BoRG

Comment

• The Dream Machine: The untold History of the Notorious V-22 Osprey

About a hundred pages in. Very fascinating book,I did not know that the dream of a "convertiplane" is almost as old as powered flight itself.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• "The Rising Tide" by Jeff Shaara. It's OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
                I didn't like "The Dual" by the same author that much, but this book got good reviews at Amazon and the topic is one that I am very interested in, so I am giving it a try. So far, after chapter one, it is better than the dual.

I would be interested to hear what you think when you finish.
                AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.

Comment

• All By My Selves by Jeff Dunham

-Matt
                    SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

• current read:

RACING THE SUNRISE Reinforcing America's Pacific Outposts, 1941- 1942 Glen M. Williford

Brand new, USNavalInstitute is publisher. Great read so far. Shows we were definitely upgrading the Philippines and Hawaii prior to Pearl Harbor, albeit with what little we had.
                      RedDagger18

Comment

• I'm currently reading Phase Line Green, author was a 2nd lieutenant in the 1st platoon, charlie company 1/5 Marines

"You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

• i´m reading Zhukov's Greatest Defeat -The Red Army's Epic Disaster in Operation Mars, 1942
                          by David M. Glantz

It´s how the myth of a unbeatable Russian general is revealed

Comment

• The Military Life of Frederick the Great - by Christopher Duffy
                            "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                            -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Another great Thomas Sowell book. This is a collection of his recent articles.
                              Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                              Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                              http://www.mormon.org
                              http://www.sca.org
                              http://www.scv.org/
                              http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

• Great but Flawed - 4 stars.

Death Traps by Belton Y Cooper

For all its faults, required reading for any armour nut imo.

Some technical details are flawed, such as the Sherman having the M3, not the M2 75mm as stated, and Pz IVs did not have 4" armour. In addition when comparing the US 76mm vs the Kwk40 75mm, he uses standard US ammo vs the very rare APCR German details when comparing muzzle velocities. There are other technical issues too.

However, as a journal of one officers tour of duty from Normandy to Germany with the heavy 3rd Armored division Spearhead, it is well written, illuminating and highly readable. His opinions on the M26 also mirror many peoples opinions here.

Highlights for me include his sixth sense concerning mines, artillery and even navigation, and how his subconscious kept him alive.

Plenty to mull over in this 365 page book. Well worth buying imo, whether or not you agree with his message that the M4 was completely outclassed on every level.
                                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X