Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just started on "Gamas e Condes da Vidigueira - Percursos e Genealogias", in english would be something like " Gamas and the Vidigueira's Counts - Trails and Genealogy", it's about the man that discovered the nautical way around Africa, from Europe (Porugal) to India, back in the end of the XV century (1497).
    There's a familiar saying in Portugal that translates "We gave new worlds to the world", and unfortunatly all that people talk about is Colombo...
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• The Civil War Memoirs of US Grant. Really good reading!

Thanks
      Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

• Hmmm...

I started the Starfist Series by David Sherman and Dan Cragg, both Vets, USMC, and Army respectively.

I just bought Fields of Fire by James Webb (highly recommended from Making the Corps and supposedly required reading for leaders in the Marines), Fifteen Hours, A Warhammer 40,000 book, and finally We the Living by Ayn Rand (she was recommended to me by my favorite history teacher as an excellent example of individual power and philosophy).
        The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

• I'm impressed with the huge variety of war books that you guys have access to. Over here and in portuguese there's very little thing...
          Never heard of Ayn Rand, but if she's recomended by a history teatcher I'll try to find out something on her.

Comment

• Weapons Grade: How Modern Warfare Gave Birth To Our High Tech World by David Hambling
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap. Teancum
              I'm impressed with the huge variety of war books that you guys have access to. Over here and in portuguese there's very little thing...
              Never heard of Ayn Rand, but if she's recomended by a history teatcher I'll try to find out something on her.
              She's Russian I believe and wrote multiple fictional books, I think her most famous one is "Atlas Shrugged" but supposedly she created an individualist philosophy that says that people have the power to change the world around them if they apply themselves. Or something along those lines, I don't remember what Mr. O. said.

EDIT: Hmmm here's a site. I've started to peruse it. http://www.aynrandinstitute.com/
              The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

• Thanks for the site BarcelonaBlom.

Comment

• Reading List

I'm currently reading "Patton And Rommel: Men Of War In The Twentith Century"

Jeff

Comment

• New book

I am reading "Tigers in the Mud" by Otto Carius so far it is great.

Also here is a question, there is a new book out that i almost bought (didn't have enough money) called "Bigger Brother, the story of Dick Winters"
                    This book looked really good to, chronicles the life of Richard Winters Commander of Easy Co.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

CD
                    "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• A buddy gave me "Man-o-war". It's a narrative history of naval combat vessles from primitive times up to modern times. I'm really becoming interested in late 19th/early 20th century naval warfare.
                      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

• The First World War by John Keegan. I'm just starting to get into WWI, so I thought I'd start with a book on the big picture.
                        1. Even if you could make something idiot proof they would just go out and build a better idiot.
                        2. The road to hell is paved by a hard working asphalt crew of meddlesome legislators.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mini-Me
                          The First World War by John Keegan. I'm just starting to get into WWI, so I thought I'd start with a book on the big picture.
                          Great book and well worth a re-read every once in awhile.
                          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

• Just finished The Politically Incorrect Guide To American History, Thomas E. Woods.

Very interesting.
                            "You can't change the rules in the middle of the game."
                            "Hey, you just made that rule up."

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Comment

• Originally posted by creeping death
                              I am reading "Tigers in the Mud" by Otto Carius so far it is great.

Also here is a question, there is a new book out that i almost bought (didn't have enough money) called "Bigger Brother, the story of Dick Winters"
                              This book looked really good to, chronicles the life of Richard Winters Commander of Easy Co.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

CD
                              The book is Biggest Brother. It is a decent read, but many of the stories in the book are just repeated from Band of Brothers. The book does give some good insight into Dick Winter's early and later life, and a good summation of his leadership philosophy.
                              I would define true courage to be a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.
                              --William T. Sherman

Comment

• I just finished German Airborne Divisions 1940-1941. Very good if you want to get a grasp on basic German Paratrooper organisation and history.
                                "The State is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else."

Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X