This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogface Soldier The life of General Lucian K.Truscott by Wilson A. Heefner

This is a very well done book about one of the unsung heroes of WW2. Truscott was one of the founders of the Rangers and later lead the elite 3nd Infantry division, 6th Corp out of Anzio and in Southern France and 5th Army in Italy. Later he was head of CIA in West Germany. Gen. Truscott was one of the best combat leaders the US Army had in WW2 and this book is worthy of him.

Comment

• Wages of Destruction is pretty amazing.

I wish there were more good Soviet memoirs. The ones that are available from Stackpole (imho) have spotty translations.
      Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
      Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
      Barbarossa Derailed I & II
      Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

• Haven't read enough fiction recently so just purchased these

And in case someone annoys me this could come in handy .

Apparantly its fairly hefty so can be thrown quite hard .
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Ok well I decided to stop rereading The Cardinal of the Kremlin, since my cousin gave me Clear and Present Danger and Without Remorse...I'm starting Clear and Present Danger.

In order of having read them:

-The Hunt For Red October
          -The Cardinal of the Kremlin

In order of going to read them:

-Clear and Present Danger
          -The Sum of All Fears
          -Without Remorse
          -Red Storm Rising
          -Patriot Games (on RSR and PG...I dont have those therefore they're last)
          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
            Ok well I decided to stop rereading The Cardinal of the Kremlin, since my cousin gave me Clear and Present Danger and Without Remorse...I'm starting Clear and Present Danger.

In order of having read them:

-The Hunt For Red October
            -The Cardinal of the Kremlin

In order of going to read them:

-Clear and Present Danger
            -The Sum of All Fears
            -Without Remorse
            -Red Storm Rising
            -Patriot Games (on RSR and PG...I dont have those therefore they're last)

You will be pleased to know that Clancy's follow up to The Teeth of the Tiger will be released in December.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Alive-Tom...2703391&sr=8-1
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Eisenhowers Lieutenants by Russell Weigly
              If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
                You will be pleased to know that Clancy's follow up to The Teeth of the Tiger will be released in December.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Alive-Tom...2703391&sr=8-1
                Mmmm...I totally forgot about that, and a couple other ones...
                "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• A couple of recent aquisitions...

Just about finished this one:

"The Most Valuable Asset of the Reich: A History of the German National Railway Volume 2, 1933-1945"; Alfred C. Mierzejewski.

Not as detailed as I'd hoped for (with respect to support of military operations), but an enlightening view into one aspect of the Nazi economy that is not often taken under due consideration. Provides interesting insights into the "shark tank" of Nazi politics and the men who were able to swim (as well as those who "sank"). Research is meticulously done; primary sources (German Archives) are exhaustively footnoted.
                  I'm still hoping (someday) for a detailed examination of the Reichsbahn's role (at an operational level), written in English. There are quite a few works written in German that tackle the subject, but alas, my couple of hundred word German/English vocabulary won't get me far with a subject like this...

Starting in on this one after it:

Another look at the Combined Bombing Offensive (from another angle) can't be a bad thing. If he's done his homework on this one (like he did on the above noted title), this should be a definite eye opener.

To say I'm highly anticipating this book would be an understatement; the reviews look very promising.

Cheers, Ron
                  48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
                  __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

• "Days of Valor" by Robert L Tonsetic, the story of the 199LIB during the Tet Offensive.
                    "I am your friend...I have chocolate."
                    Cpl.Courcey, GO TELL THE SPARTANS.

Comment

• On my annual reread of "Helmet For My Pillow".
                      Skip

Comment

• Platoon Leader by MacDonough.

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post

Just finished this. Very good.

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                              The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• On Liberty by John Milton
                                Wisdom is personal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X