• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ďCome and take it!"

Comment

• 188th Crybaby Brigade

I'm picking this one up this weekend...

The 188th Crybaby Brigade is a hilarious and poignant account of Chasnoff's year in the Israel Defense Forces -- a year that he volunteered for, and that he'll never get back. As a member of the 188th Armored Brigade, a unit trained on the Merkava tanks that make up the backbone of Israeli ground forces, Chasnoff finds himself caught in a twilight zone-like world of mandatory snack breaks, battalion sing-alongs, and eighteen-year-old Israeli mama's boys who feign injuries to get out of guard duty and claim diarrhea to avoid kitchen work. More time is spent arguing over how to roll a sleeve cuff than studying the mechanics of the Merkava tanks. The platoon sergeants are barely older than the soldiers and are younger than Chasnoff himself. By the time he's sent to Lebanon for a tour of duty against Hezbollah, Chasnoff knows everything about why snot dries out in the desert, yet has never been trained in firing the MAG. And all this while his relationship with his tough-as-nails Israeli girlfriend (herself a former drill sergeant) crumbles before his very eyes.
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• The Ego and his Own: The case of the individual against authority
        Max Stirner

Comment

• Wolf

Just finished Axelrod's Real History of World War II, am starting this effort about SMS Wolf, a commerce raider of WWI days - came out of Kiel and spent nearly two years in the Indian Ocean area - dropping mines on commerical routes outside Bombay, Capetown and more - captured a bunch of ships, used their coal to keep from having to make port calls, and made it back home, as SMS Emden didn't.
          RedDagger18

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post

While almost everyone knows the general events that took place during this fateful time, this book does a great job in illuminating the details of the events. I find it very fascinating.
            I read a book earlier in the year entitled "Alternative to Appeasement" by the Michael L Roi. It's about the life of Robert Vansittart, Permanent Under-Secretary in the Foreign Office from 1930 to 1938 and analyzes in detail the Foreign Office's position from 1934 to 1937 in attempting to work with A.H. as well as the delicacies and intrigues of maintaining the Empire via diplomacy and the playing off one regional power against the other.

Comment

• Andrew Roberts,together with Tom Holland (Persian Fire, Rubicon) are among my favourite 'young' historians.
              Roberts' latest, Storm of War, is a very refreshing, in my opinion one of the best single volumes on WW2.
              Many original angles, lines of thought and analyses.
              True to form, as the editor of 'What Might Have Been', this book's conclusion reads as a WW2 'what if'
              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Just re-read

Just about to start

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner. A little preparatory reading for college, suggested by a history professor with whom I'll be conducting research on the CIA

Progress and Religion by Christopher Dawson. Good book with an interesting premise: without some form of religion in a society, there can be no true and lasting societal progress.

Alex

Comment

• Last Victory in Russia: The SS-Panzerkorps and Manstein's Kharkov Counteroffensive
                      George M. Nipe Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                        Do they discuss the cover-up much?
                        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                          Do they discuss the cover-up much?
                          Yes though I haven't got that far yet.
                          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• "Blockade Runners Of The Confederacy" tells how the ports of Wilmington NC, Charleston SC, Matamoros MX, Nassau Bahama, and Havana Cuba played very importnat roles for the distribution of war material during the Civil War. "A City Laid To Waste" tells the story of how the City of Columbia SC was captured and destroyed in February of 1865 by General Sherman in the Union Carolina Campaign.

Comment

• I seem to keep getting sidetracked with my reading lately. I am still somewhere in Bing West's The Village, Sidney Fay's Origins of the 1st World War Vol. 1, and Admiral Woodward's 100 Days: Memoirs of the Falklands Battle Group Commander. Started back in to Woodward's book yesterday. I might have to start from scratch The Village.
                              "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• Originally posted by vyshka View Post
                                I am still somewhere in Bing West's The Village

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X