Currently reading:

I'm back...

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter the Great View Post
      Recently I've read the following books:

8/10

9/10
      Uplifting.
      "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
        Uplifting.
        I was really interested in those two topics. Wanted to dig a little deeper.
        I'm back...

Comment

• After the Fact: The Art of Historical Detection

I just completed a class in "Historiography & Historical Methodologies" and I would highly recommend the text that was used. It is a fun, easy read that will make you take a much closer look at the way the "history of history" has evolved over time. The authors James Davidson & Mark Lytle want to bring out the historian in all of us.

For openers, do any of you know the story behind the mysterious death of Silas Deane?
          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

• The Battle for Budapest: 100 Days in World War II
            Krisztian Ungvary

Comment

• General Sir William Howe's Orderly Book ... seriously. reading up on the stuff at Halifax. He put the women ashore as washerwomen. Supposedly they were protected, but some redcoats came assure and (Howe implies) went wild with their guns, so he had to issue another order forbidding it. Full of interesting stuff like that.

Comment

• I enjoyed Firebrand Of Liberty The Story Of The First And Second South Carolina Regiments. These African American Volunteer Regiments whose number were around 900 went on to demonstrate in a Florida expedition how well they fuctioned as unit and how professional they were in their behavior. The author, Stephen V. Ash from The University Of Tennessee History Department, goes on the explain how this stellar performance encouraged and persuaded President Lincoln to recruit African American soliders and by the wars end, more than 170,000 African American soldiers were serving or had served in America's greatest conflict. It is a very informative book concerning how African American troops help tip the balance of manpower in The Civil War.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter the Great View Post
                  I was really interested in those two topics. Wanted to dig a little deeper.
                  Well no one's stopping you
                  "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Picked up at used book store:

From the official US Army in World War II series

Army Ground Forces

The Procurement and Training of Ground Combat Troops

written by officers who were in the Army Historical Dept -quite interesting

Comment

• Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
                      Picked up at used book store:

From the official US Army in World War II series

Army Ground Forces

The Procurement and Training of Ground Combat Troops

written by officers who were in the Army Historical Dept -quite interesting
                      those seem like interesting choices!

--Hávamál

Comment

• While almost everyone knows the general events that took place during this fateful time, this book does a great job in illuminating the details of the events. I find it very fascinating.

Comment

• Atlas Shrugged. Well, that and various comics. Next up I might either re-read Lord of the Rings or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Although, I've also been meaning to go back and restart (never finished) Panzer Leader, the Gen. Heinz Guderian's memoir.
                          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Overseer View Post
                            Atlas Shrugged. Well, that and various comics. Next up I might either re-read Lord of the Rings or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Although, I've also been meaning to go back and restart (never finished) Panzer Leader, the Gen. Heinz Guderian's memoir.
                            Or actually, in thinking about it, I might have to start in on these:
                            “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

• I'm reading for review Trailing Clouds Of Glory by Felice Flannery Lewis. It's about Zachary Taylor and the men who served under him in the Mexican War.
                              I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post

While almost everyone knows the general events that took place during this fateful time, this book does a great job in illuminating the details of the events. I find it very fascinating.
                                "Anthony Eden was trained to win the Derby in 1938 but was not let out of the stocks until 1955..." or something close to that.

Yes, the author truly drills vertical into these events surrounding Munich.
                                I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X