This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading:

"A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• Both good authors.

Comment

• 'Conquest' about the English kingdom of France.
        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post
          'Conquest' about the English kingdom of France.
          What about French kingdom of England?
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
            What about French kingdom of England?
            The book is about the 100 years war after Agincourt when England tried to follow up on its spectacular victories and unit the two countries.
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• When we finally cross the barricades with the angels on our side / When we finally deny all the popular lies / When doubt and worry finally die / How will it feel?

~The Triumph of Our Tired Eyes, A Silver Mt. Zion

Comment

• How did you like those books?
                "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                  The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• http://www.charleshenderson.net/Novels/MarineSniper.htm

About halfway through.

Comment

• Just finished this book. Good read, kept my attention enough to finish it in a day.

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

• Hopefully I will begin reading Africa Squadron this weekend, time permitting of course. I try to make sure I have the time available to read the entire book, should I not be able to set it down.

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

• Just been on holiday so have read a few .

I bought this as it contains the sci-fi novel WASP. Along with Starship Troopers and The Forever War, this was my entry into sci-fi. In WW2 Eric Frank Russell worked in the same department as Ian Fleming, so no surprise about WASP being a spy novel .

These next three books were about expanding my knowledge of the King Arthur mythology. The first is an excellent general overview of Roman Britain while the second was dull imo. The third is a tad narrow in its tool to discover Arthur (ie Welsh literature only), but an enjoyable read.

This was interesting as it can be read in (at least) three different ways. First you can take it at face value - an account by a superb German general during The Great Patriotic War, out thinking and out fighting all his opponents by using all resouces at hand in the most efficient way possible.

Secondly you can take it as a piece of nazi propaganda. With a chapter titled To Liberate Stalingrad, and complaints of Soviet treachery and breaking international law I almost laughed out loud. Soviets certainly did commit atrocities in WW2 but for Nazi's to complain was a bit much.

Thirdly it can be read on how the balance of tactical ability slowly changed during the course of the war, albeit remaing with the Germans. At first well led and well equipped Germans overrun huge, but disjointed Soviet forces. Soviet forces appear devoid of artillery ammo. Later, German troops were using their initiative at all levels to use heterogeneous forces to counter larger Soviet homogenous thrusts. Finally the Soviets are learning to use submerged bridges and defensive bridgeheads within offensive bridgeheads to defeat expected German counter attacks.

Overall a book worth getting, just read between the lines to visualize what the Germans in Russia were good at and what they were not.

I should be too old to enjoy this, but I'm glad I'm not .
                          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• One is never too old to enjoy Princess Bride!
                            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
                              One is never too old to enjoy Princess Bride!
                              Ha ha what a funny story!

--Hávamál

Comment

• Reading "Guns Up" again and just finished "Home From Siberia" about interned US Navy and AAF crews. Excellent look at part of the war not too well known.
                                "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest of things is that man who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets men better and braver than himself protect him". John Stuart Mill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X