Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished The Longest Winter by Alex Kershaw, just starting Empires at War : The French and Indian War and the Struggle for North America, 1754-1763 by William Fowler.
    I would define true courage to be a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.
    --William T. Sherman

Comment

• Reading

Battle of the Bulge "Hitlers Alternate Scenarios.
      I highly recomend this book as it has a ton of what if type scenarios.

Reading Band of Brothers (again)

CD
      "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• I just started "Goodybye, Darkness: A Memoir of the Pacific War" by William Manchester.

Also, does anyone have the 4th edition of "How to Make War?" I have an edition from 1982 and I'm wondering if the 4th edition is worth getting. Thanks

Comment

• While waiting for literature to review; I'm reading Elizabeth & Mary: Cousins, Rivals, Queens by Jane Dunn. What is interesting to me is that Queen Mary besides being Queen of the Scots was also at one time Queen of France. Good stuff so far.
          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

• Soldat

Just finished reading, "SOLDAT",Reflections of a German Soldier, 1936-1949 by Sigfried Knappe with Ted Brusaw. This is a very good book from the German perspective.

Comment

• Currently reading "John Paul Jones, A Sailors Biography", Samuel Eliot Morison, 1959. Good read so far with good battle diagrams.

Comment

• I am currently reading Longstreet's memoirs.
                Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
                I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by Patton 7079
                  I am currently reading Longstreet's memoirs.
                  I read that a couple of months ago. Very interesting. Got it from my friend who is Longstreet's great, great-grandson or somethin' like that.
                  Anyway, right now I am reading Rising Tide.
                  To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
                  -Werner Pluskat

Comment

• Originally posted by Archamus
                    I just started "Goodybye, Darkness: A Memoir of the Pacific War" by William Manchester.
                    Excellent book. A good basic primer on the Pacific War but so much more. manchester's own experiences woven into the narrative and his visits to the WW2 battle sites make this one I drag off the bookshelf and reread every now and then.
                    What God abandoned, these defended,
                    And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman
                    [ 1859-1936 ]

Comment

• I am reading Goose Green: a battle is fought to be won by Mark Adkin to balance Spencer Fitz-Gibbon's Not Mentioned in Despatches...: The History and Mythology of the Battle of Goose Green.
                      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patton 7079
                        I am currently reading Longstreet's memoirs.
                        Don't you find his writing a bit.........well boring? I love the man, but he was no writer.
                        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lance Williams
                          Don't you find his writing a bit.........well boring? I love the man, but he was no writer.
                          I can understand that. But I liked the book because of the perspective and the detail in descriptions of battle.
                          To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
                          -Werner Pluskat

Comment

• Well I'm on the 6th Chapter about the Tolmein Offensive in Attacks... Hard to believe Rommel was close to dying so many times out there... But he was smart and thought outside of the box constantly.. But I put it down as soon as I got my "Making the Corps" By Thomas E. Ricks... see my related thread:

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/fo...ad.php?t=29647

anyone who has always wanted to know more about the societal rift between the military and mainstream society, the restructuring of the Marine Corps in the late 80's or Marine Boot Camp in general should read this.
                            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

• "Lightening War; Blitzkrieg in the West, 1940" by Ronald E Powaski. Claims to be an in depth review of all parties involved,...we'll see.
                              The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSMoss
                                Recently started "A Wooden World: An Anatomy of the Georgian Navy" by N.A.M. Rodgers This is a detailed study of life in the British Navy in the middle part of the 18th century so particularly applicable to the Seven Year War period. It is based on original source research and, as the author points out, the data may or may not be consistent with the Napoleonic period as he did not include that data in his reseach.

So, if you are curious about what the sailing Navy was really like this is a good window into that "wooden world".
                                As my father is a great fan of wind sailing, he has tried to put me onto some books about the era 'when men were steel and ships were wood'...

I watched the film 'Master and Commander' with him, and as I am more focused onto the conflicts of ww1 to the modern era, I found that a great 'easy learner' and a film with some great detail.

Just for example they really have real shots from a ship crossing the cape of horn.

Even my father who is usually very critical of detail, thought it a good film for somebody to get a good insight into the Maritime war of Nelson's and Napoleons era.

I have watched it three times now (I got the home version after the first cinema view), and every time I appreciate this film more and more...

It's the 'Private Ryan' of Napoleonic maritime war, and I fully recommend Master and Commander as a collectors item, even for getting your offspring their thrills and at the same time some really accurate Historical stuff smuggled in there...

p.s. I also have two or more books lurking in my bookshelf from christmas, the first one I havent read yet, it's called 'Death in the A Shau valley' by: Larry Chambers, and promises to be a short but compact book on the short but leathal firefights that took place not so far from the dmz.
                                I expect it to have similarities to 'Guns up' another book about the incosievable speed and confusion that the night patrols fought their battles on south of the dmz...

Then I got the 5th edition of 'the gun digest book of ASSAULT WEAPONS' edition year 2000, by Jack Lewis & David E. Steele.

Ring any bells? I have read a chapter from here to there, and as a target shooter, it made me drool, good solid info from the year 2000, so the only thing missing is the insights and conclusions developed during the Afgan/Iraq/Chechnya conflicts.

Still, it make's one who has no hope of access to such weapons (at least yet), drool and remember that army shooting range with warmth.

Also I got very grateful that such firepower is not directed toward me! May peace come to the men in it for real asap.
                                Last edited by 17poundr; 17 Jul 05, 14:34.
                                "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X