X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
    About to start

Anyone read it?
    What can I say? I believe the man distorts history to conform to his view point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post

What can I say? I believe the man distorts history to conform to his view point.
      And yet you would still squander your time with his work?
      "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Ghost Soldiers. Books deals with the U.S. Army 6th Ranger Battalion mission to rescue 513 American and British POW's from the Japaneses camp at Cabanatuan Philippines. Small amount about the Bataan Death March and life in the POW camp.
        Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
          And yet you would still squander your time with his work?
          It is well to know what tunes the devil is singing.

Comment

• Good book.

I've actually learned some new info about the battle and it's participants by reading it.

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

It is well to know what tunes the devil is singing.
              Fair enough... That's the same reason I watch MSNBC... Know thine filthy enemy...
              "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Other than the fact that he was a reporter who received the Pentagon Papers from Ellsberg, and he wrote some other books, I know nothing about Sheehan. Can you provide some details?

As for the book itself, I'm about 200 pages in. The stuff on Schriever is interesting. Sheehan's political bent is also pretty apparent from his discussion of the political climate of the late 40s and the 50s. He also lambasts Curtis LeMay. Still, I haven't seen outright factual distortions as much as an emphasis on certain ideas. But like I said, I'm only about half way done.

Comment

• I have not read a history themed book in a while (currently reading The Mammoth Hunters) but the last one was How To Loose a War.
                  It was pretty fun at parts.

My favourite history themed book that I've read is The Rising Sun: The Fall of the Japanese Empire. It does a great job at showing Japan's side of WWII.
                  ´
                  “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

• The Pacific-Hugh Ambrose

Comment

• Current Read: Red November

Hello,
                      This is out now 2010. Has a different story about the USS Scorpion's loss from that in Red Storm Rising. Also a different storyline about the K-129's sinking out near Hawaii - all in 1968. The author W. Craig Reed does put May 1968 on a par with October 1962 as time frames when the nuclear genie really really would have "popped his cork".
                      RedDagger18

PS: there are a number of books now out about US-Soviet submarine duelling during Cold War days, especially since papers and reports have been declassified in many cases. But there are still some questions lingering.

Comment

• Originally posted by last_cav1971 View Post
                        Been doing family research....found out FINALLY after searching for years that my lineage leads back to William Christian "Illiam Dhone". From there up, my line leads to Fletcher Christian and "HMS Bounty".
                        I have several cousins around Milntown, Isle of Mann as well as Scotland and Ireland.
                        Can you recommend any good books on the "Bounty"?

Mark
                        Deo Vindice
                        Salus Per Christum
                        The Most recent, and its very good is Caroline Alexander's The Bounty. The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty.Hammersmith, 2003. pb.

Lieutenant William Bligh An Account of the Mutiny on the Bounty London, 1989.

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Just finished these two:

Starting this next:

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Currently I am reading Rome and Her Enemies.

I will either read The Fall of Napoleon: The Allied Invasion of France or Commanding the Army of the Potomac next.
                              History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

• The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini.

And the current issue of ACG magazine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X