Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently reading Champlainís Dream: The European Founding of North America by David Hackett Fischer. Fascinating.
    Go is to chess as philosophy is to double-entry bookkeeping. - NicholaÔ Hel in Shibumi

Comment

• Current Reads:

Have finished The Real History of the Cold War: A New Look at the Past by Alan Axelrod. New York: Sterling, 2009. and am rereading The Cold War: A New History by John Lewis Geddis, Penguin Books 2005.

Just bought Valley of Death: The Tragedy at Dien Bien Phu That Led America into the Vietnam War by Ted Morgan. New York: Random House 2010. This latter book by a Pulitzer winner and French Army veteran relies on recent archivial information to provide "...an amazing and essential account of what is missing from all the classic Vietnam War histories", according to reviewer Robert L. Miller, co-author of Encyclopedia of Cold War Espionage, Spies and Secret Operations.. Valley should provide new material for the course on Vietnam: A Cross National Perspective that I tutor. Any comments by others will be appreciated.
      RedDagger18

Comment

• I have just finished reading Mr. Lincolnís Brown Water Navy by Gary D. Joiner

The Routes of Man: How Roads are Changing the World and the Way We Live Today by Ted Conover

The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis

Currently reading: The Civil War in Missouri: Essays from the Missouri Historical Review, 1906-2006
        Attached Files
        Homo homini lupus

Comment

• Originally posted by Anglopole View Post
          Has anyone else read the Flashman Papers?

I have now read the first two (was given as a Birthday present and although I had never heard of them, was highly impressed).
          "Flashy" is the Man! Very fine series that are very funny but also have a lot of historical information.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDagger18 View Post
            Have finished The Real History of the Cold War: A New Look at the Past by Alan Axelrod. New York: Sterling, 2009. and am rereading The Cold War: A New History by John Lewis Geddis, Penguin Books 2005.

Just bought Valley of Death: The Tragedy at Dien Bien Phu That Led America into the Vietnam War by Ted Morgan. New York: Random House 2010. This latter book by a Pulitzer winner and French Army veteran relies on recent archivial information to provide "...an amazing and essential account of what is missing from all the classic Vietnam War histories", according to reviewer Robert L. Miller, co-author of Encyclopedia of Cold War Espionage, Spies and Secret Operations.. Valley should provide new material for the course on Vietnam: A Cross National Perspective that I tutor. Any comments by others will be appreciated.
            RedDagger18
            How is the Geddis book? I have it in my bookcase waiting for me to find the time to read it.
            Also how is Axelrod? I haven't seen that book yet.

Comment

• Geddis and Axelrod

I'm still working with Geddis. I think it is essentially his lectures at Yale, and reports the reaction of students of the 1990's who he claims are struck by the potential for Armageddon during October 1962 since he "sanitizes" their statements. The fact that Soviet commanders had very loose rules of engagement for land missiles with nuke heads (and as well sub commanders), when finally revealed from Soviet Archives gives pause when thinking about it. My brigade (2nd/5th Mech) was to follow 1st Armored Div across the beaches.

It is a good working volume of understanding what was going on from Sep 45 - and I'm still working through it.

Axelrod is a thicker effort, with some interesting sidebars as he works his way along the time line, and some interesting photos. Some real detail on the McCarthy era in the early 1950's.

At this point I have not found any disconnects in interpretation.
              Enjoy
              RedDagger18

Comment

• Originally posted by Anglopole View Post
                Has anyone else read the Flashman Papers?

I have now read the first two (was given as a Birthday present and although I had never heard of them, was highly impressed).
                I've read the first two and they are great. If you like them you should look at his McAuslan series as well.

Comment

• Gritty Victorian era mystery set in 1880's London.

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• A friend picked my up an autographed copy while he was at the Smithsonian last month.

AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• I have found a copy of The Brigade by Howard Blum. Can't read it yet until I can get glasses . Has anyone read it yet?
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• I'm 55 pages into Blue Blood by Edward Conlon, enjoying it so far.

HONNEUR ET FID…LIT…

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• About to start

Anyone read it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogsbody67 View Post
                            I'm 55 pages into Blue Blood by Edward Conlon, enjoying it so far.

Its about a rookie cop in NYC?

Flicked through it & it looked good.

It doesn't feature a bald headed detective sucking a lolly by any chance?

Who loves ya, baby?
                            http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfe Tone View Post
                              Its about a rookie cop in NYC?

Flicked through it & it looked good.

It doesn't feature a bald headed detective sucking a lolly by any chance?

Who loves ya, baby?
                              It starts out with him as a rookie but the blurb on the back cover says he makes it to Gold Shield Detective - I'm not sure what that is, exactly, but I'm betting that its a good thing otherwise they wouldn't mention it.

So far (sadly) no bald men sucking lolly pops.

HONNEUR ET FID…LIT…

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• A History of Russia: Textbook for Soviet Russian History

"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X