Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Darkest Summer: Pusan and Inchon 1950: The Battles That Saved South Korea--and the Marines--from Extinction

No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah

"The first time those bastards encounter US Marines, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable lives."
    -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
      Does that mean the book is no good, or Europe was bleak at that time?
      The book is good, very detailed almost too detailed. The 1620s were particularly bleak with the Imperial armies rampaging across Germany and Denmark crushing all opposition and imposing their religion.
      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post
        The book is good, very detailed almost too detailed. The 1620s were particularly bleak with the Imperial armies rampaging across Germany and Denmark crushing all opposition and imposing their religion.
        Will post thanks soon .
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge.

First read it back in the late 80's. Reading it again to get ready for HBO's The Pacific.

Great book!
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
            With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge.

First read it back in the late 80's. Reading it again to get ready for HBO's The Pacific.

Great book!
            One of my favorites, maybe the best frontline memoir of all time.
            "The first time those bastards encounter US Marines, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable lives."
            -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• “Come and take it!"

Comment

• Reading Allen french's The First Year of the American Revolution. One of the best histories I've read of the period, and I've read heaps.

Comment

• War- Jack London

War
                    Jack London (1876–1916)
                    From Jack London: Novels and Stories [URL="http://www.loa.org/URL]

A young man holds in his hands the life of an enemy soldier
                    as the two men face each other across a stream.

. . . Again there was an agitation of the bushes, and then, so suddenly that it almost startled a cry from him, the bushes parted and a face peered out. It was a face covered with several weeks’ growth of ginger-colored beard. The eyes were blue and wide apart, with laughter-wrinkles in the corners that showed despite the tired and anxious expression of the whole face

All this he could see with microscopic clearness, for the distance was no more than twenty feet. And all this he saw in such brief time, that he saw it as he lifted his carbine to his shoulder. He glanced along the sights, and knew that he was gazing upon a man who was as good as dead. . . .
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 17thAirborneSon; 01 Mar 10, 15:21.
                    17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

• Originally posted by No_Nickname View Post
                      One Hundred Days: The Memoirs of the Falklands Battle Group Commander by Patrick Robinson and Sandy Woodward
                      What do you think of this book? I have been thinking of getting it.
                      "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• I got sidetracked from my Vietnam reading a while back. I am still in the middle of The Village by Bing West, but this weekend I started to read Sidney B. Fay's The Origins of the World War volume 1, which was the inspiration for the boardgame Diplomacy.
                        "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• While re-reading - actually re-listening the audio mp3 book

Munich, 1938: Appeasement and WW2 by David Faber

http://www.amazon.com/Munich-1938-Ap...0496639&sr=1-1

I realized I had missed, due to the vagaries of audio listening, the Anthony Eden resignation saga. Now, as an amateur scholar, I was certainly familiar with it but boy howdy, this book covered the blow by blow, memo by memo, meeting by meeting, instance by instance details to the whole affair. Highly recommended - if you're into that kind of thing.
                          I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• How Wars Are Won by Bevin Alexander.

All right read but not sure if I agree with some of the authors theories.
                            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                                Great book!
                                If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X