Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Darkest Summer: Pusan and Inchon: The Battles that Saved Korea - and The Marines from Extinction. by Bill Sloan.

As a Korean War reader, I find this a pretty good. As usual, I am reading this in mp3 from audible books but I follow along with battle maps I bring up on the web. Sloan wrote The Ultimate Battle (Okinawa) which was excellent.
    I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Just gettin' ready for Sept 19th.

The Pirate Life: Unleashing Your Inner Buccaneer,
      by Ol' Chumbucket and Cap'n Slappy

see: http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

and our very own Pirate story: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ht=neverending
      17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

• This was exceptional in its own right, notwithstanding the authors obvious bias, including scimping over his last 15 years or so.

Also great as an Arthur book as the similarities of Edward III life to the epic Le Morte d'Arthur are uncanny. By peeling away the life of Edward III from the legends of King Arthur it should be possible to glean a clearer picture of that (possibly mythical) figure.

Just started this book, and so far appears up to the standard of the other Pen and Sword books on the ancient period .
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

• Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-1934 by Bryan Burroughs.

Excellent book so far.
            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Currently reading Dan Cruickshank's The Secret History Of Georgian London. How the Wages of Sin shaped the Capital.
              recoimmend it highly, especially for readers interested in the history of 18C. crime. (A bit of a sideline I got into through my interest in the First/Second Fleet.)

Comment

• Panzer Battles by Maj. Gen. F.W. von Mellenthin
                "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

• Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                  Panzer Battles by Maj. Gen. F.W. von Mellenthin
                  Some try to question von Mellenthin, but I found the book very interesting, particularly his observations about Rommel.

I'm just starting the Winter War by Robert Edwards to get some background on a paper I have to write for my European history class.
                  Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

• "Stalingrad to Berlin: The German Defeat in the East"- Earle Ziemke

Like his Moscow to Stalingrad- well written, accurate, good analysis...
                    Last edited by VancePolk; 14 Jan 10, 14:18.
                    "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• Got lots of different stuff on my bed side table right now:

-The rules book of the Operational Combat Series version 4.0 by The Gamers, 25 years of wargaming and I never tried that cult series before, first game I'm planning on is Korea The Forgotten War:

-February issue of my favourite WHG mag, Vietnam of course, all good as usual:

-Some urban fantasy for when I'm not in the mood for serious stuff :

-and finally I'm re-reading Into Cambodia by Keith Nolan to get in the mood of my next VCO volume:

Comment

• Fire Within: A Civil War Narrative From Wisconsin by Kerry A. Trask

Last edited by Twitter3; 15 Jan 10, 10:16.
                        "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                        -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Books. Best thread ever .
                          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                            Books. Best thread ever .
                            I could not live without reading a book. I feel strange if I go more than 1 day without reading something. And I'm talking a real-life hard back book in my hand as I'm sitting in a chair or laying in the bed. I have to read.
                            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                              I could not live without reading a book. I feel strange if I go more than 1 day without reading something. And I'm talking a real-life hard back book in my hand as I'm sitting in a chair or laying in the bed. I have to read.
                              Same here. There's nothing like the feel of a real book in your hands.
                              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Me too...I love to read for pure enjoyment...I know some people read to help them sleep but not me..I have been known to start reading a book and not putting it down until I completed it..especially in the wee hours of the morning..
                                "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                                "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X