Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlborough: His Life and Times, Book Two (Volumes III & IV) by Winston S. Churchill

Marlborough was a brilliant general who is sadly unknown outside of military history circles.
    Go is to chess as philosophy is to double-entry bookkeeping. - Nichola´ Hel in Shibumi

Comment

• Originally posted by trebuchet View Post
      Marlborough: His Life and Times, Book Two (Volumes III & IV) by Winston S. Churchill

Marlborough was a brilliant general who is sadly unknown outside of military history circles.
      A few of us know and admire the Great Duke. Britain's greatest general.
      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Adam Tooze's The Wages Of Destruction- The Making And Breaking Of The Nazi Economy.

Economics is not my strong suit.
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• The Utility of Force: The Art of War in the Modern World by Rupert Smith.

Not an academic reading, but very interesting...
          A ME LE GUARDIE
          "Di noi trem˛ la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

• Halfway through this

Then either this

or this .

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
              A few of us know and admire the Great Duke. Britain's greatest general.
              That's my take (and Winston Churchill's as well, although I suspect Sir Winston may be a bit biased for some reason).
              Go is to chess as philosophy is to double-entry bookkeeping. - Nichola´ Hel in Shibumi

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                Halfway through this

Then either this

or this .

Nick,
                I would be most interested in your impressions of the Pyrrhus book.
                If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Nick,
                  I would be most interested in your impressions of the Pyrrhus book.
                  I'll read it next then .
                  How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Right now I am reading Peter Cozzen's No Better Place to Die to get ready for the ACG Stones River game! Good book, but I find that the maps do not always correspond to what is being discussed in the chapter, or some of the regiments are mislabeled on them or something...I'm not sure what the problem is, but the maps have been throwing me a little. The prose, however, is excellent. Overall a great read.

Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Just finished The AEF Way of War: The American Army and Combat in World War I by Mark Ethan Grotelueschen and After the Trenches: The Transformation of the U.S. Army, 1918-1939 by William O. Odom. I thought it made sense to read them both together.

About to start A World Without Time, The Forgotten Legacy of Godel and Einstein by Palle Yourgrau.

Comment

• Originally posted by VancePolk View Post
                          I actually read his Death of The Wehrmacht and thought it was excellent.

Thanks!
                          His "The German Way of War" is very good as well.
                          If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

What is your impression of this book? His last WWII book got trashed good.
                            I thought it was a fairly good book on German doctrinal development,German fanboys probably won't like it because it will not confirm their beliefs in the superiority of the Panzerwaffe and because he points out the complicity of the Wehrmacht as well as the Waffen SS in war crimes.
                            If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

• Currently about 3/4 of the way through "The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time and Fighting Wars" by Patrick Hennessey. A really good read and a very good insight into the daily firefights the British Infantry and Marines are currently involved in out in Afghanistan.

I would highly recommend this, it is currently No 1 in Military Life & Institutions on Amazon...

Newbies were ordered to sign out the 25m Pipe Range Cleaning Kit. With one end of a 30m rope around his waist and the other tied to the mattress he would struggle for 20 minutes trying to pull it through the range : )

Comment

• I have never read anything on the SAS before as not a lot is known about it so it is very difficult to have a complete history of it.

I'm glad I did though as reading about its rocky start and post WW2 operations in places like Burma and Oman has been very interesting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X